ambassadeur 6500cl3

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by FATDAD, Oct 19, 2009.

1. FATDAD

FATDAD New Member

State:
    Mount Sterling,
    is there any differance in the cl3 vs c3? have a couple cl3 reels and just wandered thanks:big_smile:

2. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    If I remember right, the CL3 is a lower quality reeled designed for places like Wal-Mart and of the sort. I do know they have plastic side plates, gears, and so on. They're a lot less expensive than the C3, and I'm not too sure if they're still in production. :confused2:

3. FATDAD

FATDAD New Member

State:
    Mount Sterling,
    i have had the reel apart and there is no plastic in side looks just like a regular c3

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    never seen or heard of plastic gears in a abu even the cheapo BCX has brass gears

5. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    I owned a BCX, and disassembled it to try to fix it before I took it back. The gear that syncronizes the spool with the level wind (which has a brass gear, btw) is indeed plastic. On my reel, the level wind had locked up, so the plastic gear went head to head against the brass grear; I don't need to tell you how that ended, do I? :smile2:

As for the difference between the two reels, the exact same question was asked on another forum, and here's what was found out:
    http://pierandsurf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=964

6. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Dan you are right about that gear being plastic and that gear is plastic in all abu and penn reels

7. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    Oh, okay; thanks for clearing that up. I took BCX back and got the 6500c3 in place, so I haven't had any reason to peer inside of it. :wink:

8. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    c3 is a good reel you are better off with it

9. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I bought two from walmart on clearence about nine years ago, other than a gold spool and decals didn't see any difference. I will say they casted better than my c3's, other guys who casted them noticed it to. I clean my own reels and I don't see any difference on inside. These reels have been used more than my other reels in the past, and they are still in real good shape. I did upgrade the drag washers last year, and replaced one handle. As for the cl not sure, but I will say there are other cl reels made by abu and walmart didn't carry them.

10. FATDAD

FATDAD New Member

State:
    Mount Sterling,
    thanks guys that is wy i love the boc:wink:

11. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    That gear is plastic for a reason, the reason you described here. If the level wind does lock up, the plastic gear will strip out, and it's typically and inexpensive replacement, but it keeps the entire reel from locking up or from something more important and more expensive breaking. If it happens while fighting a fish, you should still be able to reel the fish in, you just won't be able to use the levelwind until the idler gear is replaced. I think the idler gear is plastic in all levelwind reels, at least it has been on every one I've ever taken apart.

12. Tony Long

Tony Long New Member

State:
    Glasgow,Ky
    Thanks for all your great info guy's!!I am getting ready to purchase a new reel and as of right now i am looking hard at buying the Abu 6500c3 because i have heard some good things about them...So again i say thanks for all your info!!!