Ambassadeur 6500, Big enough for the Blue Catfish?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Katmaster Jr., Jun 22, 2006.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I'm getting a Abu 6500....C3 version I think.

But do y'all think this reel is big enough for big Blue cats? Like could I put a lot of at least 25lb mono on it?

I've got a 6000 but only have used it for channel cats really so far. I know the 6000-6500 can catch a big blue cat, but I just want to know if it would actually be good for targeting them, and not let me down after a few big ones or anything.

Thanks,

Zakk

2. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    abus are great reels, but i just bought two tidewater 30lb's, they are a tough reel, half the cost of one abu and hold 330 yards of 20# mono, so i figure it should hold a ton of 25# test too, even more if you use braided. you can pick em up at wally world. hope this helps you

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks, I already own a lot of tidewaters though and absolutely love them. A great price and great reel. But I want to have a few Abu's also, and I'm getting this 6500 for $40 also.

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've got 2 of the 6500's,and I love them! I have 30lb mono on mine and it holds enough for me.The biggest blue I've caught with it was 20lbs,I'm sure it could hold a lot more than that though.For $40,you can't go wrong!!!

5. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Zakk I dont think youll be able to get that much line on there. I think they are only rated at 17/245 I put 20 on mine and get quite a bit but that is the heavist non-braid I would put on it. Other people put on higher and dont seem to have any issues tho.

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks man, that was the info I was looking for. I think I'll put 25 on mine.

And thanks for your input Gary, it's actually rated at like 14/245 but I usually don't follow the ratings on the reel anyway. I think 25 will be ok on it, since I have 20 on my 6000 and it works good.

7. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Zakk , I use Trilene XT in 20# on both my Abu's, not sure of the capacity but there is plenty on there and casting isnt a problem at all.

Ryan, its what you casted on my rod at the gathering. Remember.

Salmonid

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Glad to have helped,this was the first year I put 30lb on them.Last year I had 25lb big game and I'm not sure how much it held but I never was in danger of getting spoiled.Also the biggest fish I caught with it last year was a 25.9 flathead.IMO,I think you'll like it real well,I know I love my 2.

9. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    The 6500 will be a great reel for hunting blues. I run two of them most of the time. That is what I landed my avatar flathead on... Realizing that blues are a bit different I steal feel that it is a solid rod.

I think the thing you have to look at when using any type of line is the diameter of the line. I run 25lb test with a thin diameter. I think it is stronger, and you get more the the reel. I am easily running over 200 yards on my spool.

The larger the diameter of the line, the less you will get on your reel, and I have had experience where the thicker line has more stretch to it then the thinner stuff!

Hope this helps

10. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks again guys, good info there, that's what I was looking for. One thing I've had problems with on my 6000's is the clicker switch breaking, I like the ones on the side of the reel better, rather then the ones on the front of the reel, I don't think they are quite as tough, am I the only one thats had this problem?

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Zakk, I have 5 of the 6500 that I tournament fish with and run 25 pound ande on all of them. The biggest blue I have caught is a 43 pounder. I normally run 25 lb. on the reels and 40 lb. for the leaders but I am thinking about going up to 30 lb. on the reels and 50 lb. on the leaders. Ive caught alot of 30 to 40 lb. blues with this set up with no problems from the reels other than changing out the worm gear and paw on the level winds occasionally.

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks, sounds like they are going to work fine for me then. I usually take the paw off when it breaks, I don't like them anyway.

I mostly fish with 30lb line and 50lb leader, but I think 25 will be fine on this reel since it's smaller.

13. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Yea I remember it well Mark, I kept birdnesting mine LOL.

14. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Zakk, sounds like you got the same deal on your's as I did on mine. I bought a 6500 CL3 on clearance at Walmart for $40 a couple months ago. I'm backing the spool with 10 lb. mono and topping off with 10 lb. diam./50 lb. Spiderwire original braid. As previously posted, the reels capacity is 14/245. So I have plenty of room to work with going with the smaller diameter line. I'll probably go with a 50 lb. mono leader also. It sounds as if you're going with mono line, but I thought I'd give you another option. Good luck with the new reel!

15. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Hey, thanks for the input, I only use Mono, never have liked Braid much, it cost a little more too. I'm actually getting mine from a member here on the BOC "Foodsaver" has refurbished 6500's for $40. An awesome deal.

16. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Dude, the 6500 C3 is a workhorse. It will work for any size fish you run into. Put a power handle on it and you'll love it even more. Be sure to keep the worm gear clean (toothbrush works great) and you'll get years out of it before you should have to repair or replace anything on it.

17. catfishinmagician

catfishinmagician New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You'll be fine with that 6500 c3 model. I've got 4 of those and 4 of the 7000 models. I recently started using the 7000's to specifically target the bigger fish, but before i got them, the largest reels i owned were the 6500's. I've got them loaded with 20 lb. Berkley Big Game, and that landed my personal best blue cat, 47 lbs, while fishing on the bank.(The picture in my profile). They'll hold around 120 yds of 20 lb. so you'll be fine.

18. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I agree with 777..I have 3 of them on 7ft custom built rods' and have bagged several fish over 20lbs.......... I use ande 25 also... good to see another ande user...Thought I was alone on that one:cool2: No problems with the clicker....so far...

19. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I don't see any reason why It wouldn't work. Those things are workhorses. Sounds like your getting a deal too.

20. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    I have a 6500c3 with 25lb cajun red, that stuff is way underrated IMO. Its harder to break that thing off of snags than 40lb big game.