Ambassadeur 6000

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by MRR, Aug 1, 2006.

1. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Is the Ambassadeur 6000 rod and reel combo from Wal-mart any good. they have the combo for 69.97. My question is does that sound high or is it in the ballpark price wise. Rod looks like it would be pretty limber. Thats what has me concerned more than anything. Don't know nothing about them so any input will be welcome. the reel by it's self is 59.97 . Is the rod worth the extra 10 bucks.

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Its noty a bad price at all. What rod do they have that reel on? The 6000 may have bushings but it is still an abu and I havent met a fish that it couldn't handle yet.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe that Wally world combo was set up for mid size fish like bass. It would handle 75 to 80% of most cats, but the other 25 to 30% will tie it in knots. Depends on what type outfit your looking for. Should be decent, all around outfit.

ohhhh, and that was a milestone... number 1000.. been trying to get here for a few weeks. LOL

4. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Congrats on the 1000!

5. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

The reel strung with the proper line will handle any cat, but the rod is the weak spot AwShucks was referring to. I would plan on stepping up in the rod side if you are after big blues or flatties...but it should handle most if not all channels.

If you are going to replace the rod, compare the combo price to the reel price and see if you are willing to pay the difference for the rod, if you have a use for it.

6. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I do not think I could want that rod for cat fishing. It is most likely geared for bass fishing as most of the combows at wal mart are. Check the rod for the size of line and the weight that it is designed for and see if that gos along with what you use. If the rod is designed for the weight that you usually use and the size of line you like to use then you should get it.

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    John, the rod is not worth packing home you would be better off to buy the reel and then find you a rod you like.
    And Lawrence Congratulations on #1000:eek:oooh:

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I have that combo, two of them actually. I don't think they are made for Bass, kind of big for Bass Fishing. I believe they were made for Stripers. I have caught a lot of nice fish on mine, I used it in saltwater and caught a 23 pound King Mackeral on it and it still works. Makes an awesome Channel Cat combo, don't know about for Blue's or Flatheads though.

9. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Thaks guys on this input. I kind of had the same feeling about the rod.Guess I'll just keep studying for awhile. Course I could always give the rod away for a x mas present:lol: and keep the reel.
    And Aw-Shucks congrads on making 1000. I'm closing in on it myself.Make it before long (I Hope).

10. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Funny you should ask that question John, i just bought the 6000 last week. I didnt get the combo because i felt the pole was to weak. I bought the 8 ft. catfish ugly stick. The rod was 31.00 and the reel was 59.00. Ive used it once and am real happy with it.

11. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I did the same thing splitshot did, and I have pretty good luck with it once I figured out how to use it. Now it's one of my favorites, and I hope to see what it's worth when I start flat fishing. Will let you know. Late Andy

12. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    Splitshot has the right idea, I would by reel seperate and get a better quality pole.