ambassadeur 6000 vs 6500

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by bigpapa15206, Sep 8, 2005.

1. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    what is the difference? is it just size and line capacity?

2. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Line cap. is the same.Depending on the models to what is the difference. The main difference is bearing verses bushings.There's really not alot of difference in the newer models.(example 6500C3 verses the newest 6000 is spool bearings) tick for tat :D

3. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    i wanna get an ambassadeur for big cats (channels and flats from 20-50#s) i dont wanna spend more than $50. which clickers are better, the side one or the newer style one?

4. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I don't know if you are going to buy new or used,store,or e-bay.A new red 6000 will run you near 60 bucks and thats about the cheapest ambassadeur on the market with a clicker.The 6500's are higher.You can get good ambassadeur reels for less than 50 bucks if you know where to look.I like the clickers on the left side where they've always been.

5. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I have both of them and don't really see a difference between them.

6. trackeryak

trackeryak New Member

State:
    Mechanicsburg PA
  7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The first thing you want to do with that new reel is to check out the drag system to make sure that it will tighten down as much as you'll ever want it to under the pressure of fighting the largest cat you might ever catch. With my 6500, in a heavy current, I have to add pressure with my thumb to pull in a cat larger than 10#. You can buy an aftermarket set of drag washers that are supposed to correct that problem.

8. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    Hi Jerry. Did you buy your 6500 brand new? All my 6000 and 6500 reels with stock drag washers crank down with more than enough force to horse in a 10lb. cat in heavy current. If you bought your reel new I would say the drag washers are defective or maybe one missing or in the wrong place. If you bought it used, the drag washers are worn out or assembled incorrectly. I have bought several used reels and the former owners had taken them apart and put parts in places I didn't even know they would fit. It is also possible when the reel was built someone didn't know where the parts fit or contaminated the drag washers with grease/oil. I have to agree with you on replacing the stock drag washers with smoothie drags because of the weaker and sticky drags in the Ambassadeurs. After replacing the stock washers with smoothies the drag system does have more power when you crank it down and no more jerking as the drag is going out. 10Lb. cats in current should not be a problem with your 6500 and stock drag washers. Take a look at the drag system and get some smoothies or I will send you a set of new ones from a new reel if you don't want to order the smoothies. I realize not everyone has the time to mess with reels and they shouldn't have to, to begin with. Abu Garcia should put quality drag washers in their reels. I don't know you but you may know as much or more about reels than I do. I am only saying this because I don't know if you feel comfortable disassembling your reels or not, send it to me and I will install a new set of whatever you want in it free of charge, just give me a PM. I hate to see a nice reel like the 6500 go to waste because of a faulty drag. If you do order the drag washers they are model number 5500CA (Abu Part #20907) and replace all the newer 6000 and 6500 reels with 4 drag washers. I have always used the Xtreme Smoothies but a set of Carbontex are on their way so I can put them to the test against the Xtreme Smoothies. Abu