Ambassadeur 5000's

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by HARVRAD2003, Mar 5, 2007.

1. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I have 2 Ambassadeur 5000's that I got a few years ago as part of a set at walmart, I was wondering since I mainly fish with 6500's and 7000's if these would be good for Channel Catfishing. I thought since they take up to 130 yds. of 17 lb. /// 205 yds. of 12 lb. that I could put some power pro possibly 10 lb. mono diameter with a little 20 lb. big game as backing and then have them as Channel Cat reels.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    They make good cat fishing reels. Thing is, they are probably as good as the 7000 series or 9000 series. They just don't have the line capacity or retrieve speed of their bigger cousins. One thing you may consider with the poles with 5000 reels on them is to either back way off on the drag or have a 10' section of small diameter rope to secure them to a bank object or something on the boat. Hate to see your poles water skiing..LOL

3. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    That's the setup I use --Ambassador 5000's --a 7 1/2' medium action ugly stik with 30lb power pro. That's plenty to drag up a good size fish and the drag is easy to change while you are fighting it. I can't afford to completely fill the spool especially when you have several rods on board but I usually put about 100yds of the power pro on and never have been "spooled" even by a large red.

Mike

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think the 5000's will work for channel cats, I use my 5000 one series reel for bass fishing thou.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yep the drags are the same on abus from 4000 to 6000 only diff there is spool size ive caught some big fish on my old 5000.

6. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I'd love to take a few hundred and get a couple more good large reels and a TIGER or so, but we are moving to PENNSYLVANIA here in about 3 months and so I'll kind of have to go with the outfits I have already, which is as much if not more than I'll ever need probably. I guess I'm like a little kid in a candy store, if I have the money I want to buy the best and I figure for my income I have, I have 2 7000c3's and 2 Penn 320 GT2'S, Penn Jigmaster 500M, 2 Diawa Emblem large spinning reels, an old Quantum Iron reel, Zebco 888, 2 6500c3's and 2 5000's. I just figure that I need to use what I have at the present time and keep the upkeep and fill these reels with line for this year. I normally channel with my 7000c3's at thte moment so I think I'll take the 5000's and get them cleaned and spooled for cats instead. THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOU GUYS HELP!!!!!

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    heck ya, i use 3 5000's for channel fishing. i have one that a 1950's and it drags in 8# boxers (channels) from the hot water discharge that fight like mike tyson. dirty,lol.