Ambassadeur 5000 Upgrade

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by mcarter, Jan 18, 2007.

1. mcarter

mcarter New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I have a 35th Anniversary Ambassadeur 5000 that I would like to upgrade to bearings instead of bushings. The problem is that this model doesn't have the bushings in the spool but has them on each end of the spindle that goes through the spool. The spindle and the spool turn together as one. My question is: Can I upgrade this reel to bearings instead of bushings by replacing the spool, spindle, and bearings? I can get the parts cheap enough, just need someone who has done it (or tried it) before. The number on the foot is 84-4 88-89. Thanks!

2. catfishcrazyjr

catfishcrazyjr New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    what does putting bearings instead of bushings do?

3. whiteelephant

whiteelephant New Member

State:
    florida
    Looks like you stumped us all on that one. Dont see much advantage with bearings for cat fishing tho

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    If you bank fish around lots of sand, bearings can get gunked up with sand and cause the reel not to work. the do seem to make a smoother and a bit faster retrieve.

5. mcarter

mcarter New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I have a 5500 C3 with the bearings and I can get much better casts with it than the 5000. I was just hoping that I could get close to the same performance from the 5000. I know that the newer ones are upgradable to the bearings but when I cracked open the reel I noticed that my reel is a bit different.

Thanks for the replies--Probably have to keep it as is but it never hurts to ask!