Ambasadeur 6600-C4

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by crab, May 31, 2007.

1. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    What do you think of this reel for catfishing. Im gonna pair it with a catmaxx CMX79MHT from basspro I think what do you all think. Remeber Im a bassfisherman so I havent used anything made like a broomstick.:big_smile: I mostly use the curado 200d and the shimano cardiff 100 series for bass. However I do own a 5600AB Abu.

2. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    They are 6.3:1 what speed do I need.

3. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Depends on the size of the cats you'll be catching mostly. If you're going for the "eater size" table fare, the reel will be fine. You can land pretty much any size cat with the reel you get, just have to let the rod do more of the work. Get a good rod that will fight the fish, heave on the fish with the rod, and just use the reel to take in the line after heaving on the rod. Learn to use the drag also, and your reel will be fine. Sounds like it's pretty close to what you're used to already anyway, so familiarity in equipment will go along way in landing your fish.

Good luck and enjoy the new rod and reel, you've got a good setup.

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I forgot to mention, I've got a 6699 Brute with the 6.3.1 gear ratio mounted on a 10ft meathunter rod. I haven't noticed alot of difference on landing fish, but haven't landed anything over 10lbs with it yet either. I have noticed that if I'm fishing in rocky areas, then I can keep my line up off the bottom better when reeling it in with the faster ratio. I don't get hung up as much, just give the line a "pop" with the tip, then crank like hell! My bait or hook and sinker will usually skim the top of the water brining it in.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Best of luck with it and keep us posted!!!

6. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    walmart sells a abu garcia 6000 for 60 dollars. it is an excellent reel and i use berkley big game or cajun red 30-40 # line on mine.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I remend a 6500C3 they are built for catfishing, u need lower speed reel, Like 5:3:1. It will give ya more power.

8. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    CJ you are telling me that a 6.3:1 reel is that big a difference than a 5.3:1 reel I just dont see it but thanks for all the help anways guys Im going with the C4.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ya its a big difference. lest gear ratio means more power.

10. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It might just be me, but I've not really noticed much difference in fighting fish with the different gear ratios till I get to over 20lbs or so. I usually let the rod do the work anyway and pull in line with it so the reel doesn't have to do the work.

11. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Im with you XRINGER I noticed that in my bass fishing. I let the rod do the work.

12. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Here she is guys with my reel grips! later on tonight my new rod will be here and ill post a pic of her.

[​IMG]

13. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nice looking reel! I just built another 6500 using the same color endplates and I put the 6.3.1 gears in it. Wish I had a gold frame like that one, but I've got it saved for another project. You're is "purdier" than mine, LOL!

14. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Those C4's aren't so hot for catfishing. My buddy bought one and he regrets it all the time. I actually prefer the 4:2:1 ratio of the 7000's and up. The gear ratio IS a big difference. But if the reel makes you happy, use it.

15. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Scott -

Just use the C4 - after you start catching catfish, you can't help but to start buying more reels and rods. Then you'll start noticing the difference for yourself, and you can make up your own mind what reel you like. But the C4 will bring the fish in.

Like I said, just go catfishin', have a good time!

16. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Thanks guys! Here is the rod a BPS Catmax 9' rod MH. Im already got another with a big spinning reel on it and Im gonna buy a couple more reels and rods, Yep the baitmonkey has me lol. Thanks again for all the advice.

[​IMG]

17. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Nice setup, is that all your fishing gear piled up in your dining room? If so, you're a man after my own heart. :lol:

18. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Yep those are a few of my tackle bags setting next to my pc,wife wants to kill me :lol: but she lets me live. Im fishing equipment poor :lol:. Guys thanks for all the advice you are great!

19. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Crab, that is going to make a nice set up!

20. mwallace61

mwallace61 New Member

State:
    Huntsville,Alabama
    I'm using 6500-c3's. Love 'em. Have not had a cat break one yet!

Mike