Amazing film of WWII carrier landings

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by kyredneck, Nov 11, 2008.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7166330178234459087

My father fought in the Pacific in WW2. He was on the USS Lyman K. Swenson DD729 (http://www.angelfire.com/mi/gjsmoyer/hist.html). He seen alot of action but he's never talked much about what he went through; I remember as a small child the times he would scream out in his nightmares and wake the whole house, cussing the Japs and the the kamakazes. He's 83 yrs. old now, and a full time nurse to my 81 yr. old mother who has Alzheimers (he wouldn't have it any other way). I assist him anyway that I can, and all that I dare, because he is cantankerous and set in his ways.

I took him and mom a fish dinner from Captain D's today; they reminded me of two kids the way they sat in front of the TV and relished the fish, frys, and cole slaw.

2. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    God Bless your Dad and the hundreds of thousands of others that fought
    in WWII. They were our greatest generation. Thanks for the video. Some
    of those shots were used in the movie Midway.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for the link and God Bless your father

4. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Thanks for the video.I know I couldn't have done some of the landings they did.

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Larry, thanks for the amazing video. I have always had great respect for fighter pilots, especially Navy pilots.
    God Bless your dad, I give thanks to him and all that served in WW11. I can remember the time it started and ended.

6. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    That was some of the greatest video I've ever seen. I've always been interested in that sort of thing. I will admit, that seeing some of those accidents just broke my heart. It does indeed make you appreciate all that those men gave. My dad was in WWII, & the older he gets, the more the stories he tells seem to tear at his heart.
    Thank you for posting that.