Amateur gardener

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by mattoonboy4, Jul 27, 2006.

1. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    ok everyone, please take it easy on me if this is a really dumb question cuz this is the first time i have ever tried to grow vegetables. anyway, i was wondering if it is normal for cucumbers to be yellow while growing or if they are dying?

2. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    How BIG are they and what type are they ?

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Sounds like they need water. BAD

4. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    they r anywhere from 3 to 7 inches but i dont know what type they are

5. Texas_Select

Texas_Select New Member

State:
    TX
    The sun will scald cukes this time of year and turn em yellow. I used to plant em along side climbing kentucky wonder beans on 5' tall fence so they would have a little more protection from the sun. Lack of water will keep em from maturing and the ends will come to a point.

6. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I Agree that they need water. Always water DEEP. What I do to save water on my cucumbers is to use clean 5gal buckets with a small hole(maybe 1/8") drilled about 1/2" up on the side from the bottom(1/2" up lets the trash settle to the bottom and not clog the small hole as much). I sit the bucket where the hole will allow the water to come out right at the root of each plant. I fill the bucket--it takes a hour or so for the bucket to empty--this way it will also water real deep. I usually water them every 3 days, but I use a moisture meter to determine when to water next. If you don't have alot of cucumbers--try to give them some shade this time of year(So Hot)but don't block all the sun from them. I like to use the 4ftx8ft lattice deal--you know--looks like it is made out of thin strips of boards 1 1/2" wide in a X pattern. I cut the sheet in half so its 2ftx 8ft---put them up after cucumbers die and re-use them for years. Good Luck!! Randy