amateur catfisherman needs help?

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Capefear Fisherman, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Capefear Fisherman

Capefear Fisherman New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have just began catfishing with buddies on mine on Cape Fear River and would like some help. What is good weather for catfishing? What type of cover do they like? or just any type of advice will be good.

2. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    This time of year is a feeding frenzy for cats. Once it starts cooling off, the flat head bite will almost cease, but blues and channels will still bite. Channels and flatheads love cover, down trees, stumps, logs, any kind of structure. Fish for flats at night in the shallows. For blues, fish all day in the open water and some structure. they like the deeper holes. Use live bait for flats and blues (bream, eels, shad, skipjack, etc..) Use cut bait for blues and channels, (all of the above but cut) Winter time is when youre going to get the big blues b/c they fatten up for the winter. Thats why the bite is so good in late summer and the fall. Hope this helps. there are TONS of guys on here who know WAY more than me and can help you out on the cape fear specifically... thats just my .02

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brian Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Weather conditions for fishing are not always to are liking. The best time to fish is when you have the time. Many items plays into the fish bite. Food chain,time of year, fish that your targeting, and the water your on.( Lake of River) There will be some N. C. boys in here to answer your questions on your area.:0a25::0a23::0a23:

4. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The best advice i can give is never give up! These fish are very hard to predict and what works one year wont always work the next and visa versa. Keep trying, never give up, and anytime is a good time to go catfishing reguardless of time temp and weather...it never hurts to try

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Brian.

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Just do some research and more importantly GO FISHING and you'll find the answers to all your questions. Remember time on the water is the most important part of becoming a better fisherman.

7. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
    :smile2: as wes says..alot of knowedge is self taught knowledge........some people will throw you a curve ball...........my thoughts.........catfish bite no matter what the weather is like.........you just have to move around a little more under different circumstances............they bite year round.......well......with the exception of the flattie.........but some places we know he bites year round also! cover...........well...........cover works.............trash piles...log jams......creeks, deep water, shallow water.........:smile2: it doesnt matter....if theyre feeding........theyll find it.......if not.....you have to find them!:wink:

8. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Brian, Welcome to the BOC! You picked a good time to start fishing for catfish, and the best place on the web to get help.

9. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    one day i will catch me a monster like these dudes catch:big_smile::cool2:

10. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    There is so much information on this site and great folks that will answer all your catn' questions. I reckon the best advice I can give ya is patience. and Always remember as Hubby says all the time,
    "If ya dont get your hook wet ya an't gonna catch no fish"
    Some days i catch and catch and catch....Other days i go home without any fish in the cooler.... Even some days there are fish in the cooler but not one cat! It is a toss up. Enjoy the day go fishing and a cooler full of fish is a bonus....The longer ya wait for the big cat he will one day jump on that hook!