Amassadeur 6000 Plastic Cog Gear Removal Help

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by iluvcatfishin, Jun 12, 2008.

1. iluvcatfishin

iluvcatfishin New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have a Amassadeur 6000 and got my finger jammed in it when casting. :crazy:
    Obviously when this happened it stopped instantly in the middle of a cast. One of the teeth on the plastic cog wheel broke. I got another cog wheel but cant figure out how to get the old one off. It doesnt have a clip holding it on. Any tips on how to remove it and install the new one?

Thanks

2. iluvcatfishin

iluvcatfishin New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I got it. It didnt have a "C" clip on it and wasnt sure how to get it off. It just pops out in case anyone else needs to know.

3. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    good deal,glad ya got it figured out :)....i use a loop of mono,and slide it under the gear and just pull straight up. if you are not careful,the little arm that the gear rides on will pop out if you pry it from one side...

4. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    Hio.......Here's some background stuff on that clipless gear. Naturally, it becomes a little cheaper to make, because there's no clip.

There is a hitch, tho, these gears are not compatible with the older reels using the e-clip, or the gray ones with the plastic 'ears' molded on. The spool gear will fight with the replaced main.

Abu changed the DIN number for the dimpled gear and its spool gear. The pitch of the teeth is different between sets.

PN's for the older e-clipped setup: 21800/5152 for the main, and 19373 for the spool gear. the 21800 is the grey one with ears, and the 5152 is the older white one.

PN's for the later set are: 23404/23403 main and spool.

Both these gearsets are very reasonable as a set: about 2.75 for the main, and a dollar for the spool, so it's not a whole lot of money to change them both out.

An operating hint for the 23404 dimpled main: take a sharp knife, carve off the dimple, chamfer the hole a little and install an e-clip. This mod reduces friction a tad, and sure makes it easy to remove the gear for cleaning, or replacement later.

E-clips are available at any automotive store (like napa) for about 12 cents each. I think Abu is asking just under a dollar for theirs.

Hope this helps.

Best, KD

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Great, informative reply, Ken. Reps sent to ya.
    Bill in SC

6. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    Ken,you da man ! :)