Am I wrong?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by daddio, Jul 6, 2008.

1. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    I had a party last nite, and I had the chance to meet some new people unknown to me they are vegan's and animal lover's. During conversation hunting came up and I told them I love to turkey hunt and when I get the chance I'll shoot coyotes also i kill moles in my yard.Now you would have thought i just slapped their mammas for an hour straight they teamed up on me about animals were here first and the like.I said to the freaks hey if you dont killem they could overpopulate and then die off anyway besides turkey huntin is fun am I wrong ?

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Ted, if your wrong then I must be also. The activist can say what they want but most eat meat of some sort, wear leather shoes and carry them high dolla purses. I'll argue my right to hunt till the day i'm dead.If they don't want to, thats more birds for me to chase in the spring.:wink:

3. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Ted, just tell 'em like i tell my CPR buddies on the BOC...i am a little higher up the food chain than animals:wink:

you might also ask them if they believe in the bible.....
    vegans are ignorant of where man belongs in the food chain.:eek:oooh:

God gave all plants and animals to mankind for our use. Adam actually named them....what further proof is needed?:big_smile:

4. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    YOU hosted the party? and a guest told you how you are supposed to behave???? that is the height of arrogance and rudeness:angry:.........those people have absolutely no manners. to come into your house/party by invitation, then tell the host off is crass....stay away from morons like that Ted. they are as uncouth as they come.

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    mentioned this just a night ago in another thread.

if we all went to eating greens good bye rainforest. meat is here to stay. mankind is to populated to eat just plants.

i have no room in my life for extremists. if they cant accept me for my animal instinct and meat eating, then bye bye.

just as i eat fish and will continue to untill there gone or im gone. they would hate to be here in a couple weeks. butcher time for some rabbits.

wish i were there to back ya up.

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thank you Phil. If thats not good enuff for em, feed em been sprouts and slide me the meat across the table.:smile2:

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yep. thats just more for me.:big_smile:

8. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I say that you were their host and they shouldn't have attacked your views but that's just me.

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Shoulda bit the head off of somethin while they were still there.:cool2:

10. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    One of the reasons I like to have and attend parties is for the conversation - especially when I can talk to someone who has very different viewpoints and we can kick it around in a civilized manner. As my mother taught me, I tend to shy away from introducing religion and politics, but about anything else is fair game. And if one of the aforementioned topics is introduced by someone else, I assume that the party who brought it up is adult enough to discuss it without getting hurt feelings.

As far as a beneficent creator giving us dominance to despoil and exploit the planet, I'm not so sure. I really hate to hear that particular passage used to defend wanton taking of natural resources for fun and/or profit, which is where I usually see it. I realize I'm getting ready to make a lot of people mad by saying this, but there's a few billion people on the planet who would say that that's as much of a myth as Poseidon ruling over the oceans. It all depends on where and how you were raised. That's the beauty of religion, if you use it as a justification for your point of view and the other party disagrees, it opens up whole new field of reasons to argue:big_smile:

I'm a dyed in the wool carnivore myself, but I don't mind discussing it with those who aren't so inclined. Same for religion or any other topic. Usually it's a nice way to pass the time and I find myself learning something or gaining a new perspective every now and then.

Sorry to hear about the unpleasantness at the party, nothing ruins what could be great discussion like a bunch of zealots. It's one thing to have fun talking about differences of opinions or viewpoints, another to come into someone else's home and be obnoxious about it. Look at it this way, long after you've forgotten it, they'll still be stuck eating Tofurkey at Thanksgiving:smile2:

11. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    tell me, Branden, what does that lightning bolt under your name signify? could it be that you are a voluntary member of a forum that discusses politics?:eek:oooh:

why would you pervert my post like that? i have read nothing here that endorsed "wanton taking of natural resources for fun and/or profit" or "dominance to despoil and exploit the planet"

and yes, people get mad when you turn their words to lies. i am not mad, nor will i be, but you need to stop putting your words in anothers mouth. you need to not twist and distort anothers voice. your post is just junk. think next time before you post a falsehood like that one.

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    IF THE G** D*** CAVE MEN ATE WEEDS WE WOULDNT BE HERE. I eat some greens, but I love my protein. Pork, Beef, Chicken, Fish, Lamb and whatever else I choose to eat. If they love there vegges so much they can eat the corn from my you know what. I be glad to donate it to them free of charge. :wink:

13. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC

Phil, you're absolutely right, I didn't phrase that well. I apologize. I've heard that same quote used in other threads to justify the behavior I mentioned in the above quote, that's what I was referring to.

I do apologize because I understood your post to be nothing more than an explanation of why it's perfectly acceptable and part of the natural order for people to eat meat. I know I'm not really phrasing this any better, but I'm trying:big_smile: Didn't mean to twist your words. From all of your posts I've read you're a conservation minded individual and I sincerely did not mean to imply you weren't. I just didn't write that one very well.

And yes, I do take part in the HI area occasionally, but it's implied in the name that politics and probably religion as well will be discussed there. I wouldn't go to someone's house and begin a conversation about either. I might take part if the host brought it up, but I wouldn't broach either subject first:wink:

Again, sorry for any misunderstandings, didn't mean to be insulting or to twist anything, I just phrased it badly.

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I would most certainly know WHO I wouldnt ask back :smile2:,I love my meat ,but nobody is gonna talk me down in my home,cept my mom,and she's allowed .. seriously,I love gettin the anti's stirred up a little.

15. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    well,i thought thats what animals were put on this earth for anyways :big_smile:

16. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I will reframe from posting what would have happened if I were the host and it was at my place, that is unless this gets moved to H I. I can tell you it wouldnt be pretty, about 2 words of their bs would have been enuff to gaurantee a good neanderthal responce (I love to regress). :wink:

17. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Those types usually jump in their Dad's BMW with leather seats and drive off.

Humans have incisors in our mouth to tear meat. Cows have a mouth full of molars. Cows have a digestive system that can convert cellulose to proteins. That's how they get so much muscle without eating meat. Humans can't. You can decide if it was God's design or natural selection. Ether way it's a fact.

Vegans need to take supplements for B vitamins, protein, calcium and all sorts of others. So that alone says the diet is deficient and therefore unnatural. From a moral point of view I have no problem with their beliefs but just show me the same respect and don't try to convince me I'm wrong. A general discussion is always welcome. I just try to reinforce my argument with facts instead of raising my voice. Disarm them with facts.

18. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    yes you did. apology accepted, and thank you for it. when The Good Lord made us stewards of this planet, He meant for us to be GOOD overseers...i am all about that. waste not want not.
    people that use the bible, or for that matter, any other word or action, to justify wanton waste and destruction are not friends of mine. no one in this thread advocated that, yet you insinuated such. reply to MY post or anothers...not something you heard 1 month, year, or decade ago.

the BOC is a bunch of good folks (which you are one), and as a group we are all for sensible use and conservation of resources...there is no doubt in my mind of that.

19. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    The problem with arguing animal rights (for me) is the fundamental differences in what I see as their rights and what PETA sees as their rights. I don't like to see an animal mistreated unnecesarily and some of the feedlot operations I've seen make me a lot more uncomfortable than the 20 head of cattle grandpa kept on 80 or so acres. His profits weren't nearly as high, but those cattle were as close to the "happy cows" in the commercials as I guess I've seen:smile2:

But again, couldn't tell you if the cows cared or not - it's my personal feelings with no science at all that makes me say whats mistreated and what's not. I'm pretty sure if I thought about it, putting a piece of food on an 8/0 hook and then pulling a fish in to the boat for a picture is kind of unneccesary, but it is necessary to my mental health and at the end of the day I figure the fish has a cool story to tell his buddies.:wink: But again, either turn it loose or eat it. I don't like to see things killed or maimed just for the fun of it.

I figure that if you're going to keep an animal - for a pet, for livestock, or for a beast of burden - it ought to be fed, watered, and not physically abused. If I'm going to hunt them or harvest them, they deserve a clean shot, a quick death, and not to be wasted and/or hunted/harvested to extinction.

I don't think they need the right to vote and that we should be forced to compete with them for the tastiest grass in the pasture, as some of the activists seem to believe:smile2:

There's a pretty good show on FX called "30 days". It's the guy that did "Supersize Me" and the show is taking someone from one background and putting them in a different situation for 30 days. The last one I saw was a hunter from NC who lived with a family of PETA activists for 30 days. It was interesting to watch, but the truly insulting part of it to about anybody with an IQ over 6 was one of the activists comparing chicken farming to the holocaust. That's the kind of rhetoric that makes me go to KFC just out of spite:wink:

20. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Hunters are the best conservationists in the WORLD and MUCH kinder than mother nature will ever be...

There's a little thing called carrying capacity, and they must not be privy to what happens when the ecosystem gets outta wack...tell em to look up the Kaibob deer population...classic study on what happens when predation is fooled with which is essentially what hunters help with.

http://depts.alverno.edu/nsmt/youngcc/research/kaibab/story3.html