Am I the only one who likes little fish?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by wylie catter, Jul 29, 2007.

1. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I don't know how to set up a poll so I'm doing it this way. I seems like everybody on here is only interested in 20+lb fish. Personally I love catching 3 - 6 lbers. They tastes better in my opinion, and I love eating them. I also like having fish fries and letting other people enjoy the fruits of my hobby. I'm not knocking catching big fish, don't take it that way. I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who actually goes out fishing with intentions of catching 5 lbers. From what I've read on here I bet there's at least a few more guys like me. I mostly fish Wylie and Monticello. Both GREAT lakes for 5 lb fish.

2. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    Terry I am with you. I like eating smaller cats because I also think they have a better taste to them. However, I do like my flatheads to be in the 10 to 20# range. I don't fillet my flatheads I skin them whole and then cut them up.

3. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    I also like cathcing the small ones also.

4. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I kinda get used to the small ones ,because thats what my boys & I usually hook into.:006::0010::0010:

5. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    Same here, we usually catch then in the 2 - 5 pound range?
    I'd like to catch bigger one's, but it just don't happen.

If they are good frying size, I'll keep them.

Ken

6. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    If I take my wife with me thats what we go after. She likes the 5lb range for cleaning to put in freezer and she likes to be getting bites no matter what size.

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Now don't get me wrong here but, if I want fish for supper, I will fish for smaller fish(3 to7lbs) just for that reason. But, most of the fishing that I do is for larger ones. Those are all released (10lbs and over) to fight another day!!!

8. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    You may find this hard to believe but, I have never kept and cleaned a catfish. I have always practiced catch and release. The only catfish I have ever eaten has been from a restaraunt. I've never kept a catfish I've caught for food. I guess that's why I always go for the hogs, they are just so much fun to catch!

9. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    It's not often that a client specifies small fish for his trip... most everyone has caught or is able to catch small catfish. 98% of my clients wants to catch a trophy catfish.

Since all fish over 10 pounds is released, they all know what to expect on the water... there are always small fish (2-10 pounders) so there's no problem if the people want to keep a few to eat... but all want to feel the power of a trophy fish fighting for it's life on the end of the line.

All clients are satisfied with the elation of catching, battling, and sometimes landing a true trophy catfish (often their personal best) and then releasing the beast alive after pictures and celebration.

10. jimbow3

jimbow3 New Member

State:
    NC
    I like the smaller ones also I think they taste better and some of the small ones put up a pretty good fight.

11. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Terry, once every week I go out and fish for small blues (2 to 6 pounds) for my family to have catfish for supper that week. I use smaller baits and fish areas that have small fish. You have two fishermen on Lake Wylie who come to LKN to catch them some small blues for tablefare. Yes, we like you target them when we want something for dinner.

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Terry, I love to fish for fish that size, especially when there is a good bite on. Big fish are great and I love to catch them, but I will take a trip with 25-30 of those 5-6 pound fish any day!!

13. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    The only place that I try for the big ones are on the Mississippi River and I have not been out there this year. I have been lake fishing for catfish to eat.

14. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I have to agree with WylieCat. I love to catch big fish, but would rather catch little fish all day, than wait for that one big one to come. To me it doesnt have to be a certin fish, anything that bends my rods, and gives a bit of a fight is fun to me. I mostly release all the fish that I catch, so I cant tell you anything about the difference in taste between the bigones and small ones.

15. Big Cat Hunter

Big Cat Hunter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    :roll_eyes: The smaller fish do taste a lot better than the bigger ones. Another thing is you do catch more of them. Great Job!!!!

16. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    I'm guilty, I get very little enjoyment from catching small fish. I've targeted nothing but big blues for about 20 years now. I think alot of that comes from growing up with a pole in my hand on the lake shores....all I did was fish and as a child was limited to shore fishing, dock fishing or messing around on still water with a 12 foot jon boat, unless one of the grownups would let me tag along out on the big water. I don't know how many 1000's of "little" fish I caught, but I'm pretty sure that's what turns me off with little fish now. Usually if start catching a bunch of little ones I'll move to another spot. I'm thrilled to hear alot of y'all like to target little ones, that leaves more big ones for me!

17. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Like the small ones and there is always the potential to catch the big one while fishing. Thats what it is all about.

18. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I always turn loose anything over 5 or 6 lbs and keep some for the table. Enjoy catching some of the big ones but let them go to fight for another day.
    Bill

19. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    I don't care if it is 1 lb or 100lber a fish is on and Im loving it.
    Oh yeah i release everything wife can't stand the smell of fish