Am I set up good? for carp?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by whiskerchaser, Jul 21, 2006.

1. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    ok so we were fishing at clayton lake in clayton new mexico and were catching a bunch of bluegill about 45. Then they stopped biting and we caught about 10 1lb carp all on worms. but I was thinking about fishing for carp cuz the cats were not biting. And was wondering I have a 6 1/2ft bass spinning combo with 10lb line and am using size 6 treble hooks and was thinking about using this recipe that someone put up.

Ingredients
    3/8 " Cattle Range Pellets (Available in 50 lb Sacks for less than $10.00 at agriicultural feed store. This will last an average fisherman for several seasons.
    5 lbs White Flour (Regular)
    1 pkg Strawberry Jello (I use large packet, but small will work just as well)
    Garlic Salt or Powder (Optional) Just sprinkle some in mixture for enhanced bait.
    Mixing Instructions
    Fill a 3 lb coffee can with Range Pellets and empty into a 5 gallon bucket.
    Fill the same coffee can with warm water and empty into the 5 gallon bucket.
    Let this soak over night. Mash, Mix and Crumble with hands, next morning.
    Add 3 lb coffee can of White Flour.
    Add dry pkg of Strawberry jello.
    Combine and mix everything together well.
    Goal is to get mixture to form a stiff ball so that it will form around treble hook.
    If more water is need to soften mixture......just sprinkle mixture with your hands until you get it right. It is very easy to overdo the water. A little goes a long way so just add a little at a time.
    If mixture needs to be stiffened, add some flour.
    When the mixture is right, you will be able to form a stiff ball about the size of a quarter or so.
    Carry some flour with you when you go fishing in case bait needs to be tightened.
    Mold bait around your treble hook and fish with a loose line. When line begins to tighten set the hook.
    Keep bait mixture in a sealed container.....1lb ziploc bags work well.
    Bait can be refrigerated and will keep through the winter. Don't worry if a mold forms on it........it will work good just as well.
    This could possibly become one of your favorite "go to" baits for eater size channels in hot weather.

I am gonna make a batch think i will catch some hawgs?

2. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    hello! that sounds like a great setup for carp. i always use a can whole kernel sweet yellow corn. i have really caught some nice ones on canned corn. just thread it on the hook.

3. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Thanks I will use corn to and throw a handful around where im fishing if i dont have luck with that homeade bait thanks for your opinion.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

If yoou want a smaller amount of carp bait try this
    boil 1 cup water with one cup anise seed (optional)
    mix these dry ingredients together
    strawberry jello
    1 cup yellow corn meal
    1 cup oat meal
    when the water starts to boil add dry ingredients and stir for about 30-45 seconds remove from heat and place on wax paper to cool. when cool place in ziplock bag and your ready to go. pull off a small egg size chunk and form around your treble hook and wait.

5. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

carp around here dont get work at all, you can cacth them all on just corn,big ones too

6. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Be careful with your drag since you've got 10 pound line. If you wanna catch a "hawg" dont "hoss" that fish. Let it tire out and keep the drag a tad low.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

above stated one cup of anise seed sorry that should say one tablespoon of anise seed.

8. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico

I might try that one. maybe i dont know yet that would prolly cost less since i dont have cattle range pellets.

9. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    sounds pretty good to me im getting a ambassadeur 5000 for the big carp and cats

10. kscathntr

kscathntr New Member

State:
    Olathe, Ks
  11. motodragon2003

motodragon2003 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I stick to good old fashioned Wheatie balls. I go carp fishing on occasion when I'm tired of getting skunked fishing for other things. I just buy a box of wheaties cereal.......mash the flakes all up while they are still in a bag....throw the crumbs in a sock.........dip it in the lake....squeeze out the excess water and away I go. I tried this 2 weeks ago and in about 4 hours caught over 15 good size carp...I'd guess the weights to be anywhere from 5-20 lbs. By the way, You better have your drag set really low or your face open.......because when they feel that tension the bolt........I almost lost 2 poles because I forgot to set my faces open.

Good luck