Am I ready to go flathead catfish hunting?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by SyKo450, Oct 27, 2009.

1. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    Here's all the gear I've acquired over the past month while on my mission for flats, if I'm missing anything let me know, thanks

8ft. Med-Hvy Ugly Stick Catfish rod
    Penn 320GT2 Level Wind reel
    50lb Red Cajun Line
    65lb Team Catfish braid
    10/0 King Kahle hooks
    8/0 Circle hooks
    9/0 Octopus hooks
    Sinker Sliders
    150lb Snap swivels
    6oz Pyramid Sinkers

2. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    if you are in a lake with really no current you might want to get you some floats to fish certain depths. i use 12 in weighted slip floats with 1.5 oz lead or the cat bobbers with a carolina rig setup. dont forget your beads to protect the knots from the weights or use the rubber bumper knot protectors from team catfish if useing the slip with a carolina rig. other than that a net might come in handy:wink::smile2::big_smile::cool2: besides that you got great stuff all around that i can think of. im sure there are some other things that i cant think of at the moment. im sure someone else will though:big_smile: good luck and tight lines bro! as for your question you bet you are ready!!! well except one other thing......you need the bait lmao!!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009

3. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    Fishing will be at a river with some current I believe, hence the 6oz sinkers

I have 3 Kat bobbers on their way now:wink:

Also have those yellow sinker bumper things from Team Catfish, which I forgot to add to the list

As for bait, I'll fish that at the river, we'll be using live bluegill and tilapia I believe

4. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    GET RID OF THE CAJUN RED UNLESS YOU ARE USING IT FOR LEADER MATERIAL...THATS ALL IT IS GOOD FOR...

5. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    I was wondering about that, I had it snap twice when casting out, didn't seem like a solid line, good thing I got a spool of 60lb Big Game

6. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i don't know what your using snap swivels for,i use barrel swivels.and i use cajun red on some of my poles its a great line never had it broken.

7. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    I prefer them mainly because it's easier and faster to switch hooks

8. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i always rig coralina style,you can still use a snap swivel if you want to but if your gonna rig this way you'll still need barrel swivels.and i would try some no roll weights as well. good luck.your pretty good it seems to me.you'll need a net for that hoss.

9. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    A comfy chair and a bucket with a battery powered air bubbler to keep the bait lively,how about a good scale to weigh the big fish on before the release and a camera. I to dislike the snap-swivel,but it's youur rig,let us know when the first big fish swims away from the snap failing,it will, they can't take the strain.

10. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    If you're not using good quality, heavy duty swivels, then tie your hook directly to the mainline...That's worked for me for ,,, a long time.

In the river and lakes, I've had braid fail too often to have any confidence in it.. I've used up to 80#Braid..My go to line is now 50# mono, and I check it after every cast or fish for any abrasion marks..cut and re-tie if there's any evidence of abrasion near the business end...

Don't worry about changing hooks quickly,, just get more rigs...besides,, you'll have time..

Get a good headlight and, spare batteries,,,to attach to your hat or around your head, ;leave all the other lights off as much as possible. and, be as quiet as possible, I think the Flats can Feel the noise!!
    Bug spray, even in the winter months!!
    Some good sharp knives..
    For bait, I use a 5 gallon bucket with holes drilled into it, and put your swimmers in it, put the lid on, have your rope tied on good, and throw it in the water you're fishing in,, keeps them alive and fresh.. I also have a bucket with no holes to put the mess in, for transport..
    If that Cajun Red is breaking while casting, throw it away,, it may be old or deteriorated.. I've had good luck with it, but, if the sun got to it, it may be bad. The Big Game line is good, I've had excellent results with it in 50#. Your 60# will out do the rest of your tackle!!
    On large gills I use the 10/0 Kahles, on smaller bait I use the 7/0 Kahles. Most important is have a lot of point exposed.
    You can use the gills or tilapia live or cut,, I'd try both at the same time,,on different rigs. Never know what may hit the stuff!!!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  11. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Sounds like your ready to go brother!Good luck.:cool2:

12. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    I got those pyramid weights mainly for the same reason, so that they don't roll

Comfy chair and bubble making machines I have

Maybe now that I'm reading about the snap swivels I guess I'll have to go out and get some barrel swivels instead

Greg, sir, I'll be heading out to the Alamo with DesertCatRat (Brian) if I can, he's the one that told what I would need,(snap swivels were my idea)

I don't understand why the Cajun snapped twice already, it's brand new

Thanks all for the responses, now I'm convinced that I need barrels and not snaps :wink:

13. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Sounds Pretty Good,,
    Catrat is a good fisherman,, You'll be in good hands.. and,, have fun..
    Hope you have some success,, Looks like warm clothing, and some sleeping bags will be in order!!!
    In regards to the fishing line breaking, might be a good thing to inspect the guide rings on your rod,, to insure they don't have any burrs that are cutting the line,, run a Q-tip around the inside of each one,, if there's a burr or anything,, it'll catch the fibers of the q-tip!!!
    Will be awaiting the fish report!!!

14. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    I wish I was able to go this coming weekend with him, but I'm going to be out of town with family

As for keeping warm, all I need is some sweats and a sweater, I don't really get cold for some strange reason, maybe because I'm fat and got lots of blubber?:smile2:

15. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    persevering patience !!

16. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    Patience I have much, maybe too much:embarassed:

17. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    good set up. you will have time to adjust from your current set up. I am not a fan of the pyramid sinkers because of snags. Good luck and keep us posted

18. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    Everyones making me double think about the tackle I got lol

19. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    you'll be fine,you can refine and adjust to find what suites you the best.go out and have fun.

20. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    Yep your ready to go! Just get out there and have fun. adjustments will come as you put time in.