Am I living right?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by blackwaterkatz, Dec 9, 2008.

1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I was wondering what I've done to bring down the wrath of the Fish Gods, but let me explain...
    I bought a Humminbird 797csi side imaging unit a few months back. Now, I like the side imaging part; it's really nice to have, but I don't like the standard sonar nearly as well as my Lowrance LMS 337 cdf, which I've had for quite a while, so I use both units most of the time to complement each other.
    #1: Well, the Humminbird transducer is large, and has an opening where it mounts that allows a huge rooster tail to spray up behind the boat at speed, even getting into the boat at times. I had covered the hole with electrical tape, which helped a lot, and later HB came up with a design for an item to cut the spray down, and they placed one on order for me at no charge, back in Sept. Well, the thing never came, so I emailed their customer support yesterday, and got a response back later in the day with a Fedex tracking # that showed it had been delivered to an address in Alabama. I replied to them late yesterday with that info, and received a prompt reply after they began their day today, stating that they had ordered another one to be shipped to me. Hopefully Fedex will get it to the right address this time.
    #2: The Lowrance unit had started acting up and shutting down for no apparent reason while I fished a tournament with Big Bird and the Pee Dee Catmasters some time back, and progressively got worse, so I went online and got a RA# from Lowrance and shipped it to them. According to the RA Status page on their website, it was received by Lowrance on Nov. 21, and they were off two days the following week for Thanksgiving, so I figured they would have it back to me later in the week, in time for the latest PD Catmasters tourney. No way! The web page went down when they returned on Monday after Thanksgiving, and when I tried to use the automated phone system to track my repair, the system kept telling me it was not a good number. I sent an email on Friday, and I'm getting really ticked off, by now, so I finally get on the phone today and wait 15 minutes (not that bad, I guess) to speak with a non-mechanical voice. She was very helpful, explaining that they had converted to a new system after the holiday, and my RA number was no longer valid, but my unit had been inspected and a new unit was to be shipped out to me....as soon as they get the system working again!!! I finally got a reply to my email to their customer service a short time ago (today) explaining the same thing and giving me the updated numbers, etc, with an anticipated shipping date "within the next two weeks"????

OK, I guess maybe things are looking a little brighter today than at this time yesterday, so maybe I am doing something right.
    Interesting note: While Lowrance was very helpful on the phone, their email reply took 2 full working days, while HB responded within a very short time, and we emailed back and forth a couple of times while I was actually on the phone waiting for Lowrance customer support to come up.

I will say that I was forced to use the HB during the Saturday tournament, and it really helped me find the fish, particularly with the structure imaging ability. The sonar would show fish arches, but they were much harder to interpret than the Lowrance normally is, but hey, it made me pay more attention, and was a big factor in the win. :wink:
    Anyway, if any of you guys are planning to send a unit in to Lowrance or Eagle, maybe their new system will be working by that time. The lady I spoke with last night said that I was ahead of about 90 others in the same situation. Looks like they could have at least posted a notice on their web page....:roll_eyes:

2. preacherfisherman

preacherfisherman Member

State:
    SC
    Name:
    Tommy
    Tommy, I had the same problem last year with HB customer services but I finnally got it back and i've not had any problems out of it so far.

3. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    Good luck with it Tommy. I think sunbird sabatoged you by attacking thier website hoping to increase his chances in the tournament.:wink::smile2:

seriously though, that is a messed up situation. Sounds like you've got it about as straight as it can be though.

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <I think sunbird sabatoged you by attacking thier website hoping to increase his chances in the tournament.:wink::smile2:>

Excellent observation! :crazy::wink::crazy:

BB in SC

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Tommy, I think you have the same luck I do when it comes to grocery store lines; don't get in line behind me because I will be the one there when something goes wrong!! :crazy:

I have always heard good stuff about Lowrance customer service, but I have never had to deal with them. Hopefully you were one of a handful of people that had produc there when the switchover took place. It had to be somene, and it had to happen at some time, you just were unlucky enough to have your product there when it happened.

THE TRUE TEST will be when your product returns. If it is fine working order then I think you will be happy. :wink:

BTW, my Lowrance was doing nearly the same thing, but mine was turning ON for no apparent reason. I took it apart, which I never recommend anyone doing, and it was an issue with the rubber key cover hanging up on the switch underneath.

6. Flatheadzz

Flatheadzz New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    BTW, my Lowrance was doing nearly the same thing, but mine was turning ON for no apparent reason. I took it apart, which I never recommend anyone doing, and it was an issue with the rubber key cover hanging up on the switch underneath.[/quote]

My father in law has a lowrance also that is turning on by its self and also the light flashes sometimes, they told us we had to put a toggle swicth for the main power but it still keeps turning on by its self. They said when the unit heats up it causes it to flash. Ive never heard of anything like that it is turning me off of the high dollar lowance that I almost bought but instead I went with a Humming Bird which I have not yet had any problems with it yet, Has anybody had thiers to do that and if yours did how did you fix it