Am I Just blind

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by billNpam, Nov 26, 2007.

1. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    As some of you know I have had a time with a certian hunting area this year. But I have had time to scout the property really good, but know I am confussed as ever. I have hunted this property from sun up to sun down for three days. I have seen a total of over 30 deer BUT NO BUCKS. during my scouting I have not seen rubs or scraps, franly just no buck sign. But I am not nieve either I know from my younger days where there are females there are males. (I chased everything in a skirt) Now for the question... Why no buck sign? Since there is no buck sign should I assume that there are only little bucks in the area.

2. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Its a mistery. But, Id put my money on the bucks showing sooner or later. Those does came from somewhere and it took a buck to make it happen. Sometimes it just takes time for your luck to change. Hang in there...

3. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    Is this on your new 500 acre hunting spot?

4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    we hunted a place like that for years. it was a 200acre piece of land with a wheat field on it. We would go looking for the deer in the preseason. Would hunt it from Oct bow season thru late Nov. with out seeing many bucks and lots of does. It seemed at the end of the season Mid December we would start seeing all the bigger bucks. They did not stay on the area but walked thru alot. I think they were after the yearlin heat, or second rut.

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    How many stands did ya find from the poachers? Pressures affect their patterns. I've seen the effects yer describing, especially if the rut is early down there this year. The poachers tool used to be the 22 magnum, but the advancement in archery, and increased fines and penalty we needed, now it's the bow. Quiet, doesn't raise suspicion having one in the truck, the season starts first, so they get a head start. They will take multiple bucks with a single tag, by just not turning it in.
    Was it me, I'd put some doe in the freezer. Taste better anyway.
    Here in Indiana, the archery season overlaps the gun and muzzleloader season, then there is a late achery season after that....just a free ride for the bow poacher. They buy one tag ta keep em out of jail, and poach all fall, and into early winter.

6. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yes this is the 500 acre spot. And I did find 6 stands. I did not find any others but I could of missed some.

7. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    My opinion would be buy a trail cam..One cannot imagine how many nocturnal bucks there are out there..

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Lack of sign isn't always a bad thing. I find that bucks leave sign in areas that they use at night, not during the day. I would look for the thickest area I could find and hunt the edges of it. If the Does are there, the bucks will come!

9. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    your a lil further north in the state than me. this time of year down here, we see tons of does, and the occasional bachelor group of young bucks. i cant even imagine that there are no decent bucks on the property. they are just in no need to travel yet (not during daylight at least).

down here we have had a bumper acorn crop, so the big boys really dont have to move far at all. once those does start thier barroom theatrics, the big boys will come out. not sure when your rut starts, (ours is very late, usually mid-late jan.)

if i were you id listen to willie, hit the thickest nastiest stuff ya got. and put up cams too.

best of luck bro.

10. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Aced by the deer or somebody beat ya to the punch. Does not make sense to not see buck activity. Scrapes, rubs, movement. If you have that doe count, in just the area you are in some one of them are always gonna be springing. If you have an active rut tapering off then going into singles in heat somebody will be always looking. The scrub bucks and useless old timers will be passing through. 500 acres is a lot to cover. Nothing against you, if you are the only one out there it is just luck to see one if there has been pressure on them by forces you can't control.

That many stands in an area that size tells ya something. I have seen that many stands in a 40 acre timber. These stands have been well scouted, my summation. Somebody has beaten ya to the punch. Are these stands good equipment or knock together stuff just to get in a tree? Good bow poachers tend to be highly selective in their sites and are in and out. They have targeted specific bucks in specific areas, get them and then move on.

There is no reason you won't see some kind of buck eventually, if you have the deer numbers the rest of the country does. If you are hunting this kind of country and are dealing with pros, I'd be more worried about running into them than I would in killing a deer.

11. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I can't help you on why you aren't seeing any buck sign. It could be that they are hiding out elsewhere. Eventually, if there are as many does as you describe, the bucks will be rolling through. Hunt in the middle of the day instead of the normal times & see if that doesn't help you out some. It could be that your place is a typical cruising spot for bucks to come look for receptive does.

Besides that, you need to start whacking the does. It's deer hunting, and it's fun. There's no harm in shooting some does, and it'll eventually improve your chances of seeing bucks. It may take you a couple of years, but the faster you remove the excess does, the faster you see more buck movement. Trust me, it works.

12. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    i have see no buck sign in areas,that have alot of big bucks.if the property is overun by does,and there is not much competition for does, bucks just dont make much sign.that doesnt mean it doesnt exist,its just harder to find.if the does you have seen are not spooked and jumpy or hard to hunt that means poaching is probably not the problem.the bucks are there out of five hundred acres youll just have to keep moving until you find sign or bucks.

13. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i live on the land i hunt and i go all year without seeing any bucks on it but when the rut rolls around the bucks show up. i see plenty of does everyday during the season but the buck is the odd deer here. ratio is way off in my area for bucks to does. i have lived here long enough now that i know when to start looking for MR. WRIGHT. ive watched does all through the fall until i got tired of looking at them but then in early nov. i started seeing bucks but small bucks. i made a post about whats the rut doing in your area because things seemed late here and it was. last week MR. WRIGHT showed up and i missed him some how. so i think you need to be timing the rut with all them does and target prime time rutting action to get a buck without much buck sign. sounds like a lot of hunting preasure going on in your area too. them big bucks will go noctural pretty fast. the trail camera will tell the tape on that one. are those does on a food source if so camp out with them. he will show up right before dark and you got to be ready at all times in the rut. it wont last long because he is going to scatter them does and be gone with them. forget the buck sign because you got the best buck sign around with them does in the rut. lay off shooting them does until the ruts over if you want a buck. once ruts over lay it to them does.:smile2: patience,patience, and most of all just enjoy the great outdoors.

14. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I am having the same problem. In 5 weeks I have 1 pic of a buck on my camera. And he is a nice one. I have only seen 3 while hunting this year and one was a spike and one was a 4 pter. They are moving at night. Here is a blown up pic of the buck.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q249/wiserb79/Picture038.jpg

15. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Go to the river bottoms (if your property has one) all the good buck sign will be around the backside of bedding thickets close to river crossings... bet on it ! :cool2:

16. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    from what i have read i would want trail cameras to see who is running my property, not what. if you got your 500 acres to hunt on and all that, i would limit out on does, then try and do some recon and find out who is sneaking onto your place and stealing your deer. if you can get pictures of them and get them to your local game warden or sheriff, you might be able to send a message to this guy and all his buddies that your property is no longer on the free hunting list. you might leave those guys' tree stands up and put a camera there.