Am I a Lunar tic?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by kyredneck, Dec 31, 2006.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

I might be considered a quack for bringing this up, but how many of you have seriously considered solunar influence on fish & game activity? Several years ago when I was an avid bowhunter I used the solunar tables (and later my wife did too) with success. The general theory is that whenever the moon is straight overhead or straight below, wildlife has a natural urge to feed. Whenever this occurs at dawn or dusk the effect is even greater. See this thread for what I consider to be a prime example:

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36214

I know that factors like weather, breeding/spawn/rut, hunting/fishing pressure, etc. will negate the solunar influence. But consider Jackie’s trip to the Cave Run Spillway Dec 26; the weather had stabilized, no spawning activity, and I’m assuming there wasn’t a lot of fishing pressure there the day after Christmas, moon straight overhead at dusk and; WHAM!!

Hehe, it’s a textbook example to me. Or maybe I’m just a quack.

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    your not a "quack", it is a proven fact that the moon, the sun, and sometimes i wonder if even the alignment of the planets directly affect fish, wildlife, and even humans. its a "gravitational pull" thing. i live in the city and you should see all the Ghetto-rats (humans) during the Full or New moon, they go nuts! also see WAY, WAY more police activity as far as traffic stops go. it seems lunar cycles affect those people, and wildlife with "less intelligence" and "predatory natures".

3. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hello Mike. The solunar theory is based on daily moon position and not so much moon phase, although in some phases of the moon the solunar effect is stronger.

4. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Larry, if the fullness and position of the moon affects the ocean tides, then I'm sure it hast affect our blood flow and wildlife blood flow, which in turn will affect our attitude, ect.... I new an old Cheroke Indian who said the fish wont bite in a full moon. But I know we've all caught fish in full and no moon nights. I think this would make an intresting research. JMO

5. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I schedule my Santee Cooper trips on new moons & my Pee Dee River flathead trips on full moons.

6. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I'm a firm believer in the moon phase affecting fishing! Now it also has a lot to do with local weather conditions and other variables. When you can line up the moon phase with the proper weather conditions I think it makes a difference!

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I do know that the best fishing I've ever experienced was on a new moon. I don't avoid fishing at other times, but I do get more optimistic when these factors converge.

8. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I would assume that lunar activity truly does affect fishing, but the only way to really know is to get out there and fish. Of course, you can monitor all the factors that go into your failures or successes and probably get closer to perfection, but one thing is for sure - you never know when that big fish is gonna bite.

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    It's a good thing I don't pay any attention to what phaze the moon is in. Other wise I would get no hunting and fishing done.

10. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I am more of a weather person than the a lunar phase person and have not really paid attention to those factors. It seems that I have done well and bad in all positions of the moon it seems. However I am interested in research on those factors. I have not yet found sound evidence that this works for a high percentage of researchers as of yet. I have heard about barometric pressure also having an effect on the fishing and more so anglers and guides using that as a guide than lunar phases.

11. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I kept track of all factors effecting ne on each trip I went out on this past year. I could find no pattern that was scientifically proven, I did see a tendency to catch larger fish during the full moon. I should say I caught more 10+ pound channel cats during a full moon. I also caught them at all other times, but not in the same numbers.

12. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    From: http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=519857#post519857

-------------------------------------------------------

I hope I'm not boring you all with this topic, but if I didn't know from experience from deer & squirrel hunting that the solunar effect is real, I'd drop it. I am convinced that Jackie's good fortune Dec 26 at dusk was no coincidence. Alot of people who don't know about it think that it's all about moon phase; dark of the moon, full moon, crescent moon, etc., and it's not about moon phase but moon position, although in some phases of the moon the solunar affect is sronger. A good explanation of solunar affect can be found here:

http://www.lake-online.com/solunar/ .

The free tables provided are for Cental Time. By adding an hour to the times given would put you right in the window for Eastern Time. The Lexington Herald Leader used to (and may still do so) provide a weekly solunar table for Central KY in the Sunday Sports Section.

Briefly, the theory goes like this: A lunar day is 24 hrs & 50 mins. If on a certain day the moon was directly overhead at 2:00 pm it will be directly beneath 12 hrs & 25 mins later at 2:25 am the next morning, and back directly overhead another 12 hrs & 25 mins later at 2:50 pm the next day. These are the times when fish and game have the urge to feed, whenever the moon is directly overhead or beneath your feet. When either one of these moon positions (overhead or beneath) occur at dawn or dusk is when the solunar affect is at it's best. Check it out and see for yourselves, I think you'll be surprised. It occured to me that in a spot like Jackie was fishing below the dam where fish are naturally congregated (you KNOW they're there) the solunar affect will be especially obvious.

Now there are factors that will totally negate solunar affect, like a weather change, the spawn, and heavy fishing pressure. But on Dec 26 at Cave Run dam, the weather was stable, no spawn, and I'm guessing there weren't too many people there the day after Christmas.

Nuff said.

13. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    There might be something to it. Then again I have killed deer in all fazes of the moon. Have landed my fair share of fish all days of the week. Animals eat like humans every day. Well I should say unless there holed up in some bad snow or ice storm. Then again I'm the kind of person that says hog wash to this kind of junk and pay more attention to the weather. I don't need a reason why I caught fish, I just need a reason to go fishing.....

14. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Lunar activity plays a role

Rising / falling Barometric pressure plays a role

Wind, rain, clear, overcast, play a role

Water temp, time of year, spawning activity, and so on also play different roles.

I have consistently done well fishing the day after a New or Dark moon. I theorize that with no moon, it is more difficult for fish to feed during the night. This results in a higher percentage of fish who are actively looking for breakfast or lunch. Conversly, during a full moon I theorize that fish have an easier time eating at night due to the abundance of light shining in the water. A full moon makes it easier for big fish to key in on the silhouette of a smaller meal. The predator instinct is more active during a full moon. This results in a higher percentage of fish being full and lazy the during the day (after a full moon).

Lastly, if the birds are extremely active or you notice the cows are actively grazing and playing on your drive to the lake or river, you can bet that the fishing will be good if you hit the right spots. And remember, it's not just fish that react to influences beyond our lowly human perceptions:cool2: And lastly, regardless of everything else, and every other variable, you won't catch fish if you're not fishing where the fish are.

15. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Very well said Randy. You're a man after my own heart. Thanks.

I love the natural order of things, just like Randy's talkin bout here.

And I like Randys' theory on the dark and full moon, it does make sense.

16. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yep yer a lunar tic , fish eat when their hungry :lol: iv caught them in all phases of the moon and weather and cant tell any difference in size or kreel any day or night of fishing turns out good if im there more than here :lol:

17. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...it is a proven fact that the moon, the sun, and sometimes i wonder if even the alignment of the planets directly affect fish, wildlife, and even humans..."

I hate to rain on your parade, but many studies show there is no difference in animal feeding habits between moon phases. More studies have shown that the moon does not influence human activity.