always be alert on lake moultrie

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mf7406, Aug 8, 2008.

1. mf7406

mf7406 New Member

State:
    ga
    some friends of mine were on moultrie last saturday night. one of them has been fishing santee for many years. they were around the stumpy point area near bonneau, when a storm came up fairly quick. they tried to head back in, but the front of their pontoon was going totally under water in the waves. had to turn sideways & ride it out. by the time the storm let up, they were almost in hog swamp!!! what a ride that must have been. they lost a cooler of fish, a tackle box & several other misc items, but thank GOD they are all o.k. just lets you know that this lake can be dangerous & unforgiving even for the experienced fisherman who knows it well. i just wanted to remind everyone to be carefull & allways watch the sky!!!!

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks for that report, Mark. Those who fish Santee Cooper know how quickly the weather can go bad, but at night it is sometimes hard to see it coming. I keep my vhf weather going when there is a prospect of bad weather, but even that isn't always enough advance notice. A change in the "feel" of things, including a smell of rain or ozone, can protend sudden changes, even is advance of seeing storm clouds or lightning.

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro

4. fishwillie1

fishwillie1 New Member

State:
    Pamplico S.C.
    The lakes can get rough in an insatnt a friend and I found out the hard way last summer. I have never been scared on the water but I am
    not ashamed to say that both of us were scared that day.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for the report and the safety reminder. I know that sometimes we forget the power of nature

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Thanks for that report, Mark. It pays to be aware of the weather. I carry a cell phone and I have a few people that will call me if they see bad weather heading my way.

7. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Good point on the cell phone to have friends at home to call you just to make sure on the storms.

8. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've got the weather radar on my cell phone, but when I get busy fishing I sometimes forget to look at it. :roll_eyes:
    My daughter often calls me when the weather is threatening, if she knows I'm in the area.

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...I've got the weather radar on my cell phone..."

I'll tell ya, that is the BEST money I have have spent on fishing equipment.

That cell phone radar has saved my butt and my passengers a couple of times. :wink:

10. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I was on Moultrie today, saw the weather start building up in the west around 1400. Checked the radar on the phone, but it didn't show anything yet, but I decided to play it safe and head on in. Looked on the radar when I got home, and sure enough, a small storm cell was moving right across the lake.
    For all the catchin' I was doing, I didn't miss too much, though. :wink: