Aluminum weld to a toon

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by AZflats, Jul 6, 2006.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I need help. Years of beaching the old girl have taken it's toll on the keel of my sun tracker.

~ Last weekend, I woke up in the morning to the right side of my boat underwater... I got the boat out okay, and drained the toon, but how do I fix the hole in an area that will continue to get hit every time I go out.

* I tried welding it with a mig wire feed welder with aluminum coil.. I ended up burning it and made new holes...

~ Any sugestions?
    Thanks!
    ~A

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Tig weld comes to mind first. Theres also an aluminium paste like JB Weld I think its made by Marine Tech but I am not 100% sure. I hope this helps some.

3. shorepatrol

shorepatrol New Member

State:
    AZ
    my buddy bent and welded some 3/4 inch aluminum rods to the front of his toons so he wouldn't mess them up when he beached it

4. ike whitson

ike whitson New Member

State:
    ariz/northwest
    There is a aluminum rod that you can actually put on with a propane torch believe it or not I first saw the stuff at a state fair. I would think if you got ahold of the wright welding shop they could hook you up.I'll see if I can get more info on it.

5. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    the welding with aluim takes a wire welder with a gas arc(shield).
    You can also use"TM" Durafix, It's a welding rod you use with a propane tourch.
    Always pressure test before you go out.

6. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I had this done with 3/8 aluminum rods. Works great. Get them to weld and pressure test the pontoon and then weld the rods on for protection. If you need to seal small holes, get some Marine Tex epoxy. I tried JB Weld and Aluma Weld and they chipped off. The Marine Tex has been on there all summer now and has no signs of coming off.

7. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
  8. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    I would prefer TIG over MIG, with TIG you can controll the heat better and it's cleaner. I would acitone the surface and wire brush the area first to remove the oxidation and try to get a clean welding surface. I've never tried to weld a toon before but I have welded oxidized aluminum. Prep before welding. The gas does some of this for you but it's not enough. A clean surface before patching will help. Make sure you don't loose the integridy of the material. Hopfully it's all aluminum and doesn't have pot-metal, aluminum is AC and pot-metal might have some steel which is DC, it's real tricky but even that can be welded. Careful not to over heat the area because once the aluminum over heats it will retract fast and you will loose the integrity of the area. It's been a while but that's what I can remember. Good luck.

9. hoosier angler

hoosier angler New Member

State:
    Arizona
    You have a couple of issues here.
    First when you clean it up use only a aluminum or SS brush, scotchbright is OK. Anything else will embed into the metel and start corrosion.
    Second there is probably water laying in there contaminating the weld.
    Third I would take it to a pro who welds every day and let them deceide the best way to fix it, The metel may be so thin it requires a patch. Welding curved upside down thin material is not going to be easy. You don't want to be practicie welding on your boat. Follow the advice of the others with the rods and the pressure test. Consider the service it has given you, and be happy this could be worse.

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Thanks Whistler I had mentioned that but I called it Marine Tech I thought I was off a little, Marine Tex is what I had in my shop.

11. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Thanks for all the great advise.
    * I definently don't want to learn how to weld on my boat.. I want to learn, but not on my boat..

~ I will take it to a pro for a patch job as the surface has worn quite thin.
    ~ I will also ask for the rods on the keel to reinforce it.

* Maybe some sort of spear could be added to the front so I can get those pesky jet skiers..
    * Just kidding.

Thanks guys.. I will let you know how it turns out.
    A~

12. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    LOL, now that's a good idea!! LOL

13. shorepatrol

shorepatrol New Member

State:
    AZ
    depth charges, now that's a party. LMAO

14. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Harpoon from a pontoon . I like the idea of it.Good advise so i can't add to it good luck.

15. Secret Agent

Secret Agent New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I had the same problem a few years back when I had a pontoon after about 4 different welders and shops finally got it fixed. One thing I did that worked awesome was run 3/4" angle rod down the entire lenght of each pontoon weld on both sides. the angle iron or (rod) gave the pontoon protection and serious support.

16. hoosier angler

hoosier angler New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hello AZ Flats
    I hope I didn't sound offensive about the "learning to weld part".
    A friend of mine owns a fabrication shop in Indiana. I have spent several hours there observing pro welders and they make it look easy. They have told me what makes them so good at it is that they do it 5 or 6 days a week. They are always in practice. I myself have blown some pretty big holes in Aluminum. I alays took my work to them. The material is very unforgiving to the novice. You might call the manufacturer of your boat and ask them what "kind" of aluminum it is made from. It would guess it is 5052. This would be good info for the welder so he could select the proper rod. Hope you get out on the water soon . Best Regards. P.S does your wife have a single sister?

17. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Found a neighbor that knows a guy that knows a guy..
    * I saw him yesterday and he fixed me right up..

~ Thanks for all the advise folks.. I will go and see him again later in the year to weld on some angled aluminum for extra support around both keels.

Thanks again!

18. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    hey andy glad to see you getting done right, my advice is to never use and jb weld or any thing like it you'll end up pay 3 times to have it weld up right, i also have 24' tracker toon i bought used last year that some one has welded some repairs on the front of the toons i have been thinking of calling keek sheild and asking them how there stuff would work on the front of a toon. has anybody tried using it on a toon. the alum rod also sounds like a good idea and seeing that i own a welding shop it would not cost me anything but im thing the keel sheild would work better if would hold to the toon