Aluminum Weld. help needed

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by AZflats, May 24, 2009.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Hey dudes~
    Can anyone recommend a local metal shop that does aluminum? I need a small puncture hole patched on my pontoon boat..

Preferably on the West, north west valley..

Thanks~
    ~A

2. brianthelion02

brianthelion02 New Member

State:
    arizona
    I have an aluminum welder,just in case you cant find anyone to do the job!Im on the other side of the world from you though!:big_smile:

3. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Thanks Brian,
    Check your PMs~

4. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If and when you find someone to do your repair, dont be afraid to ask to see some of his work. Alot of people claim to be able to weld aluminum, but in actuallity either they cant or dont have experience with dirty aluminum. Boat hulls and toons are notoriously dirty to a welder, alot of care and prep is needed to do a good repair. I would also prefer a tig or heliarc repair over a mig spool gun repair. Good luck.

5. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Hey Andy,

Bill and I know a great person who knows how to weld aluminum...our good buddy Dale...the only thing is that you may have to take a detour to Riverside to get it fixed :smile2:

I wish I could be more help...I don't know of any welders down in the valley.

6. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Dang Andy wished I could help ya out on that one, ya mite get stainless steel wire brush and and clean it up good were it needs to be welded to save a few bucks, wouldn't think it would cost more then $25

7. lonny

lonny New Member

State:
    az
    cabelas sells a product called aluminun boat patch, you heat with propane torch and apply,works great I used it on my pontoon,no more leaks.

8. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Hey guys,
    If I get this "quick fix" product and use it to patch the hole, would I still be able to have the area welded over? The reason I ask is because the area where the hole is at the front keel takes a lot of abuse when I pull it up on shore... I really want to get this area reinforced when I have time to take it to a shop..

Thanks!
    ~A

9. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Andy if you put it on it and it needs to get welded were the hole is it will have to be completely cleaned out of the hole/crack,, will need to drill a hole bigger then the hole to make sure the hole is clean on the backside of the hole or just put a patch/reinforcement over the hole thing :wink:

10. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Thanks dude. I went to Bass pro this morning, but they did not have the patch kit.. I will try Cabellas later...

** I have been trying to get everything ready for next week... Guess I need to make sure I float first.. lol..

~ A

11. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have a couple areas that need attention and just picked up a few HTS 2000 brazing rods. I am sure that welding is better, but for what I am doing the brazing rods should work fine.

Once I get the hang of using them anyway.:wink:

12. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Lonnie,
    Looks like that product is only an on-line item.. They had nothing at the store. However, I used JB weld and it looks like it will work...
    * When I get back home, I will need to find a welder to make it a permanent fix.

Thanks!

13. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    they have a liquid alluminum that you can get in tubes. most parts stores or hardware stores should have it.
    gary

14. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Did the JB weld hold during the Blythe event?

15. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Yeah, It did really well. No water in the toon. I used the putty like material.. You cut a small piece and mix the two parts by kneading it in your hand..

~A

16. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    How did you fair at Blythe?