Aluminum sucks

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by pabloracer4748, Nov 17, 2009.

1. pabloracer4748

pabloracer4748 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I spun my prop hub over the weekend so I got a new aluminum prop as it was way cheaper than stainless, and I was in a hurry to get back on the river. Well 2 minutes after I launched the boat I barely knicked a rock at an idle and it broke one of the prop blades off. Vibration from hell after that. Aluminum props are worthless!!! Ive used my stanless prop as a wood chipper, rock smasher, and sand blaster, and haven't had a single issue in 3 years of HARD river fishing. So this is just for those of you like me, that dont know much about propellors and want something that will take the abuse. Aluminum wont.:angry::sad2::embarassed:

2. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i've got an aluminum prop on my boat and a spare in the floor.had it on for 3 yrs. have hit more rocks than a cheap prostitute,its got a few chips and dings but still goin strong.done sheared off about 6 pins thats about it.

3. pabloracer4748

State:
    Kansas
    Ok, well Im taking this thing back for a refund then. It must have been poor quality or something. I doubt they refund my money though. I guess I assumed all aluminum props were created equal.

have hit more rocks than a cheap prostitute. Now thats funny right there!:smile2::smile2:

4. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    got a 1/4 chunk out of one of the blades. One a year works fine and no busted lower unit gears like with a stainless. Alum props were made to break so ya dont dammage drive gears when ya hit stuff like rocks and logs ect.

5. pabloracer4748

State:
    Kansas
    Interesting. Never thought of it that way.

You could just weld yours back together anyway. lol

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  6. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I dont see how you can damage gears with a stainless prop........their hub is also designed to turn or give way when you hit something hard. The advantage of a stainless prop is you can hit things that would normally bend or break aluminum blades and not worry about them. The replacable hub kits on S/S props work the same as alum. props.

7. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    yep my stainless prop has been on my boat for years and I've hit plenty of rocks and stumps,its equiped with a spinning hub design that allows the prop to stop without stopping the engine or gears. aluminum is built for ski and pleasure boats that don't go into nasty rock and stump infested waters.

8. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    somebody forgot to tell my prop that.:crazy:

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Catfishing, by its very nature, is always going to be hard on equipment.

If you are running the river and hit a submerged log or rock in open water then that is just bad luck but let's face it guys, if you are fishing among rocks and stumps or making your way back into some snaggy area you shouldn't have that prop turning fast enough to spin the hub or break a blade.

Anyone who has fished with me knows I use my boat up but the word is use, not abuse. I fish in some nasty places and have dinged up quite a few props both ally and steel but never broken or spun one.

Pablo, note well what Welder said. I suspect if you are spinning hubs and breaking blades it's only a matter of time until you do some gear damage though I sincerely hope not.
    Take it easy among the rocks and logs...the fish will still be there:wink:
    ...W

10. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    I had the same experince you had, first time out with a new alum prop,, DING! DING! DING! BENT! BENT! BENT!

I agree,, they are a bit cheeper but dont last anywhere neer as long as a stainless,, they also perform MUCH better on higher HP engines

11. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD

Mine too.

It sounds to me like you got a weak or cracked prop from the manufacturer. I've seen aluminum props hit a lot of stuff and never have a problem. I've still got the original al. prop on my yamaha, and i've hit quite a few submerged items. If i know there's stuff to hit, i go slow. The motor rides over the submerged thing on the skeg, and away we go. Never had a problem. My uncles boat has been thru hell with his aluminum prop, including a lot of ice. Last year it sounded like a blender busting ice going hunting. My aluminum prop is a heck of a lot cheaper to replace or fix also. To each his own. If all you did was spin the hub, you should just have that prop fixed by a prop shop.

12. I am perfectly happy with my aluminum props I have owned over the years.:big_smile:

13. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I don't fish rivers etc very often. I fish lakes and I'm seldom in water shallow enough that the prop would be much worry.

So a prop lasts me like forever. IE the SST prop on my 115 has been on it for years and no wear no nicks. But the 40 I have has an aluminum prop that has seen some rough use. The leading edges are all flat and I know this costs the hound out of me in fuel etc.

Replacing it became somewhat a have too case as the guts turned loose (I hope its that and not the splines in the shaft etc) and it will free spin at not much past idle speed.

But because it is an old style prop and not a through hub, replacements are very limited. Which means I pretty much have to replace it with what I had..(

But, If I were able, or if I needed a prop for my 115, I think I would give this one a try.

http://www.piranha.com/ If you shear a blade, You take a hammer and drive in a new one ! And from what they show on test results, You might even get better performance with it ! Worth a look IMO

14. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I have used both styles with good results.I have never bought into the stainless is bad for your lower unit even though I understand the reasoning.I have only had to replace the lower unit gears in one outboard , it was a 25 h.p. mercury that I used for duck hunting.Yes it was used and abused on mud flats and it has only had aluminum props.The first big outboard I ever had was a 200 h.p. , I didn't trim the motor up far enough while loading.Yeah stupid rookie mistake for sure.The stainless prop on concrete is a sound that sticks with you.I had that boat for 12 years and never had any lower unit trouble.I am starting to think that the new aluminum props are not being tempered as much.The olds ones you could bend with pliers , I have seen and heard of people breaking blades off trying to straighten the new ones , seem like they are too brittle.

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Only aluminum blade I broke was on a prop I had knocked down 3 or 4 pitches. Ran it 3 or more years before I clipped a stickup about the size of your pinky and it broke right off.

16. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i was saying i've never had trouble with an aluminum prop,some body said they're not made for stumps and rocks,i was posting off that statement.

17. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    My aluminum props have done me fine and I've hit some stumps/logs/rocks/sandbars plenty of times. Some by accident and some by just being an idiot. I would recommend that if you aren't familiar with an area that you just take it easy, like somebody already said, the fish will still be there when you arrive.

18. pabloracer4748

State:
    Kansas
    I think I may have found the problem. The prop when it broke looked to be cast aluminum. I believe the ones you guys are reffering to are forged? maybe not though. Mine came painted white but the broken portions look like powdered aluminum where I think the good aluminum ones being forged would not have the same appearance and would take a lot more abuse. Simular to the difference in a cast or forged piston. Could this be the reason for all the different opinions on aluminum???:confused2:

19. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    could be i suppose,the one on my boat now is black,the one i took off was white,nothing wrong with it,the white paint wore off on sand bars and the aluminum is real shiney looks almost like stainless,but it's aluminum.could be yours was cast,not sure.

20. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    To my knowledge, all aluminum props are cast.

Bill in SC