Aluminum plate needed

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by dinkbuster1, Feb 10, 2006.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i live in Dayton Ohio and hoping someone in my area might know where i can find an aluminum plate really cheap or might have something just lying around. i can always cut a bigger peice down but what i need is '11x'16x 1/4-3/8 inch thick aluminum. its for a boat project. found a metal shop that will cut it to size for me for $50 but i'd like to get it cheaper if not for free:D

2. dademoss

dademoss New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Have you wondered around Mendalsons? They may have something stuck in a corner someplace to fit the bill.

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey Dink, check back with my brother in law, the fabricator, he may have something laying around. Mendahlson is a good idea but if it was worth anything, I doubt it would be there. Most metals are taken for scrap and worth more there. If Steve doesnt have it he surely could tell you the best place to get it and I bet could get it cut way cheaper.

Let me know if you need his number again
    Salmonid

4. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    You might take a trip to a local vo-tech. A size of 11X16 inches should be easy to get for free. $50 sounds kinda high for a piece that small.
    Good luck.

David Frantz

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    what the heck is a vo-tech?

6. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Mike,

Votec is schools buddy. Check with your local High Schools or Technical Colleges. Most usually have some kind of metal shop and you may be able to get it cut to size for free or just a small amount of cash.
    Frank

7. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Dink,
    Hey if You can't find something in your neck of the woods that fits the bill drop Me a pm and I'll check around My area. I used to be a machinist and i've still got some contacts around town. I'm thinking I could probibly get you that chunk of alum w/shipping for about $20-25

and By the way guys aluiminum Plate can Be pretty pricey for anything of good quality.

8. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Brad, I need one about 20' to 24 foot long by 8' wide and 28" high on the sides or so if you can get it cheap.:D

9. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    go to a scrap yard( the place where you take aluminum cans). sometimes theyll let you dig into the pile to find what u need for the price of scrap per pound.

10. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    hey Troy I got a chunk of aluminum like that in My backyard right now, but she ain't cheap, that is Special aluminum...........LOL

11. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Hey Dink, that's where I got mine from. The high school turned it into a shop project and got a grade on it. They gave me a floor and built me a deck with storage for my jon boat. Did a lil swapin' and the kids got a good grade and I got a nice addition to the jon.

12. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    i know a guy who has 10 sheets of 4'x8'x1/4" diamond tread for sale but i,m not sure what he wants for them but i can find out if anyone is interested.

13. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    i am interested in what 10 sheets of tread plate would go for. i checked on some new a while back, it is high dollar stuff.

i have found road signs to be a good source of sheet aluminum. city workers can get old signs or sometimes you see them in the ditch. don't recommend stealing them off posts. have replaced many floorboards with them and also built my console and storage for my boat. cuts easy with a saber saw

14. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    he wasnt home today but i should be able to find out tomarow.

15. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    scrap price on that stuff is 84 cents a pound and they weigh a hundred pounds each. seems a bit pricey but scrap prices are going way up, i just sold some old copper tubing for $1 a pound.