Aluminum Painting?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Desperado, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I got my bowfishing deck built and placed on the boat. I need to know what I need to do to paint alum.? I know I need to wipe it down with a cleaner/degreaser solution, do I need to primer it or is there a paint out there just to cover and stick to alum.? I'm also going to put some type of liner covering for the diamond plate floor of the deck. Thinking of using a Durabak or rhino liner stuff. What you ya'll think and thanks in advance.

2. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    dupont makes a self etching zinc chromate pimer for aluminum its green colored like camo paint u might be able to use it as such. i primed a starcraft with it,it sticks you cant scrape or scratch it.

3. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Wipe it down with degreaser. Don't use oven cleaner. Allow that to dry completely and then spray a 1:1 solution of vinegar and water on the bare aluminum. Do not touch this stuff. Let it dry naturally. This is what etches the aluminum. Next step is to prime with zinc chromate primer. It can be bought at Boeater's World or West Marine. A boat dealer might also have it. Spray the primer on thin. You want to be able to see the metal behind the primer once it's dried. Next, paint with wahetver paint you prefer. I bought some duck boat paint from Parkers. Cabela's sells the stuff. It's held up very well.

4. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I dont know what they used to paint my boat at the Triton factory but it is some tough stuff. Havent seen any aluminum yet and I have been a little rough on the boat.

5. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    If you are near any one of these Branches they will help ya out.
    http://www.finishmaster.com/locations.cfm?state=OH
    Ya need a cleaner like 225s and then 226s Dupont, ones a cleaner and the other is a prep etch type product. Next is Zinc Chromate primer. Then top coat with your choice of paint or bedliner product.
    Ya may want to check out Por 15 , do a search on the net for it. This is some very tuff stuff.
    Also, ya might want to do what I plan to do and get a custom cut Neo Pad. This is a neoprene camo mat that is very heavy duty and it comes in different camo patterens. This mat will be less trouble and less cost than going through the steps ya need to do to make the paint stick to your deck.
    I found this product by doing a search for camo stencils. styx-river.com

6. DuckNurse

DuckNurse New Member

State:
    Cape Girardeau, Missouri
    Is there anything you can do to "refurbish" faded paint on an aluminum boat?

7. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    After seeing your new deck If you think it needs paint that bad I'll come take it off you hands!! When ever I need paint advise I just ask the guy's, at the place where I buy it, but these guys sound like they are more likly to know what to do.

8. Trueblue

Trueblue New Member

State:
    California
    Just bought a new boat and thinking of repainting you all just helped me thanks.

9. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    should you strip the old paint off or paint over it? and when i do paint it is it ok to put www.catfish1.com on the sides of it or do need special permission from Paul ?

10. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Generally speaking, if the paint is adhered well, then you can just paint over it. If the paint is water or latex based, strip it. If it's oil based, paint an oil based paint right over it.

I always recommend using an oil based paint on bare aluminum... Well, bare aluminum with a coat of zinc chromate primer!

11. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Well looks like you guys have things covered here, Oh by the way , marine paint works alot better than just regular oil based paints and if theres a Sherwin Williams paint store near you , they actually sell a product that is a mixture of an oil and marine paint. just my .02 worth.