Aluminum let me down

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by metalfisher, Aug 20, 2006.

1. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I went to look at a lot on East lake this weekend and set out my metal bait line Friday night.

On the first check run after dark, I caught a drum and a 54" paddlefish(spoonbill) probably 30#. I think he just snagged on the line though.

A check at midnight and I had two large gar over 5# each. I left the gar on the line to give it some action since the water was dead calm.

Saturday morning 7:00 am run and I had a 3# blue and a small gar. The two gar from the night before were stone dead.

The water temp was 86 and I am thinking there was no oxygen near the surface and that is why the gar died.

I have never fished the metal this late in the year so it appears it is not as effective in hot water.

Robert

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Robert,

Are you running metal wires / lines?

3. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    I'm going to put mine out this coming tue eve and take them up wed morn. I'm going to try Des Arc Lake. I'll report back and tell you how I do.grizzly

4. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N

Please educate my naive Nebraska self, I've nver heard of such a thing. What is it, what kind of bait... That kind of info may be useful to a new guy like me!

5. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    Just go a little farther down on the Local Arkansas Talk page and Robert explains everything along with pics.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe they are referring to using strips of tinfoil on a line. I used to catch them on plain silver hooks, and the tinfoil would be just a little better.

7. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
  8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    artificial bait left to do its job lol what will you guys do next , id rather be there with R&R myself

9. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    ya, ive heard that when its hot like that the water will lose oxygen, didnt know if it was true or not till now though..

10. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    When I pulled up the trotline anchors, they were covered with mucky slimy gross looking mud.

I wonder if the bottom had a big affect on my not catching fish. It was the first time I ever put the line in East lake.

Guess I will just have to go back and try again.

Robert

11. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Looks to me like you didb pretty good:big_smile: