aluminum jon boat question

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by keenphis, Mar 30, 2008.

1. keenphis

keenphis New Member

State:
    SantaPaula, Callifornia
    Just a quick simple question for the experts. I bought myself a 12" aluminum Jon boat for a really cheap price. The only problem is that is has a few leaks. On the underside of the boat the ribs are pretty worn out and thin. And a couple of the rivets are leaking. I already beat the rivets back together, but I am curious as what the best way would be to patch the bottom side of the boat. I was wonder about some bondo or fiberglass but I really don’t know. Any info would be greatly appreciated and thanks for looking.

2. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    alum . welder would do great . or they make a fiber resin you could use

3. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I used a putty almost like jb weld on my boat almost 5 years ago and it still on and doing great !!! I got it at the local auto parts store , it comes in a round tube and you kneed it together. Make sure the surface is clean . AN other trick is get you some soap water while doing this you can get you hand wet and you can smooth this stuff out and make a real nice looking patch.
    hope this helps it sure done the trick for me
    I cant remember what it was called but I can find out if you want

4. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    I've used the putty on a boat and had great results.. but to really seal it up... get it welded.. piece of mind is worth the cost to get it welded. IMHO

5. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    Take whatever sealer you are going to use. Get a rubber O ring and sit it over the rivet. Put a layer of sealer inside the ring. Tap it with a small hammer. This will drive the sealer into the rivet. Light tap will do it. This is how we used to seal leaking fuel tanks on aircraft.

6. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    That sounds like a great idea thanks shadmaster.
    I don't know if it makes a difference or not but I did take my boat in to try to have it welded, and they told me that it was not an aluminum that they could weld ?? Thats how I ended up with the putty. Probably different grades of aluminum ?

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Personally, for an old jonboat, I'd just sand down the rivit and the area around it down to bare metal and put some JB Weld on it. Then paint it if you want.

For the thin ribs, you can build them up with JB Weld to give them greater strength, or, if you just want to keep them from wearing any thinner, use some Shoe Goo on them. You can get it at the shoe department at Wal Mart. It's made to be strong enough to use on the heels of shoes, so you don't have to worry about it wearing off the rib. Also, it's pretty non-skid, which JB Weld isn't, unless you rough it up after it sets.

8. baldy804

baldy804 New Member

State:
    wyoming
    aluma weld is the best way to go use it on trailer house roofs to keep them from leaking and also on my camper and my johnboat u can get it in 5 gallon pails at the lumber yard good luck:wink:

9. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    They make sealer for aluminum guttering...the stuff comes in tubes like caulk.

I've never used it, but I can't see why it wouldn't do the job.

10. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
  11. Spills

Spills New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you're looking for a way to seal up the bottom you can try some stuff called Coat-It. It's made for boats, we put some on the bottom of our 16' jon. It will seal the rivets and possibly some cracks. Of course if you can get it welded that's the way to go for sure.

12. keenphis

keenphis New Member

State:
    SantaPaula, Callifornia
    I just wanted to say thank you all for helping out. I took it down to the local shop to see if they could weld it, and they told me that they would not be reliable if they caused a bigger non patchable hole. And the price they shot be was well I would have to say realy ridiculous. So I bout some JB weld and put it on the rivetts and coated the heck out of the bottom with some aluma weld. Going to fill it up with water this evening to see if it will hold. Thanks again guys.

13. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    keenphis--do youself a favor and listen to katmandeux about that stuff Cabelis has..I had this crack on the bottom of my jon and I used JBweld on it over and over and over to no avail. It kept cracking. I went to Cabelis and bought these sticks and with one stick covered the crack, and all the rivets that I had marked that was leaking. This stuff is tough as nails and so far has not cracked like the JB Weld and Alum weld I had tried. If the JB starts to crack and you have to go over it..do youself a favor and get you a couple of these sticks they work great.

14. catter62

catter62 New Member

State:
    texas
    Oh great! Southwest Airlines I presume?:big_smile:

15. CATFISHING1

CATFISHING1 New Member

State:
    MO.
    some one told me that they used that rhino liner and put it on the inside of the boat. i have never tried it personnaly but they said it works. alittle pricey but if it works. welding would be more expencive.

16. Hawk33

Hawk33 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    J.B. WELD will do the trick !!! "Make sure you do it when it's warm outside that way it will seal everything, when you use J.B. when it's cold it is kinda stiff and in my opinion it doesn't get into the cracks and crevice's !"

Also if you go the route of getting it welded be EXTREMELY careful who weld's it. Aluminum is very difficult to weld. I've seen more people burn bigger hole's when welding aluminum. Also it is expensive if you dont know the right person !

HAWK

17. jdbuckshot

jdbuckshot New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The cabelas boat patch works great. too bad the welder wouldnt help you out any.

18. flounderman

flounderman New Member

State:
    Blaine, Washington
    3M makes a Marine adhesive/sealant called 5200 fast cure. If they would have had that stuff on the Titanic it would still be floating. Follow directions on the tube. The stuff can be nasty to work with, but it is good.

19. spinnerbait

spinnerbait New Member

State:
    virginia
    FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN WELD ALUMINUM IF YOU WANT TO DO IT RIGHT.

20. spinnerbait

spinnerbait New Member

State:
    virginia
    A BAD DAY OF FISHIN IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK!!!!