Aluminum holes

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by sds888, Feb 28, 2007.

1. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    They moved my trolling motor on the boat an left four holes. It is a aluminum boat and the holes are on top but I would like to plug them I could probably use jb weld but was wondering if there was any ideas. It is plug with black sealant now.
    Thanks
    Stephen

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Just put stainless steel machine screws (stove bolts) with lock nuts in the holes, and call it good.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    A few weeks ago I bought 2 pounds of HTS2000 rods.
    I've filled several holes the size of my little finger and am now in the process of stripping everything off the railings of the pontoon boat and filling all the screw holes up.
    It has a learning curve. I'm getting the hang of it though and can fill those screw and bolt holes with ease.
    Its a permanent fix. It can be redrilled and tapped. The metals you are filling the hole with are stronger then the surrounding steel.
    That is a true statement as I've put the grinder to the stuff. Its tough.

The important thing is to heat the metal, not the rod. As the rod flows take a stainless brush and brush the flowing rod where the repair is going to be.
    That will tin the surface and make your repair stick to the surrounding metal.

I would recomend it for some aluminum repairs. The verdict is still out on structural brazing with this stuff. I havent really sat down and fabricated any together with it yet. I have the scraps to do it with when I find time.

I would start with propane and if that doesnt get the metal hot and keep it hot while you work go to Mapp gas.

4. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    HTS-2000 is the real deal,my work gets them 600lb at a time for all kind of aluminum repairs.the HTS-528 rod for ferrous alloys is good too,just need alot more heat....
    stephen, if it was my boat,i would just put some ss pan head screws in the four holes with some 5200,and not mess up the camo paint.

jerry

5. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
  6. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Wow that looks easy to use... anyone have any experience with it?

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Allumaloy is a first generation low heat rod with 3 metals.
    The HTS2000 is a second generation with 9 metals.

I would like to try the alumaloy just see if its easier to use.

I think the primary metal in both these rods is zinc.

8. hoosiercat

hoosiercat New Member

State:
    in
  9. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    do you have to buy from the there website... the HTS2000 rods. I went and price a map gas torch, would like to give this a try.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I couldnt find them anywhere else and if I did I would imagine they would be more expensive then they already are.
    I ordered on a Wednesday and had them by Friday.
    They ship out of Orlando Florida UPS.

11. clintonhawg1

clintonhawg1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    You can use stainless bolts.