Aluminum foil as bait on the White River

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by grizzly, Aug 4, 2006.

1. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    I went to the White River at Georgetown yesterday evening and put out 2 short lines, one with 30 hooks and one with20 hooks and used aluminum foil like Metalfisher described. This morn. I had 2 gar and one channel cat. Don't know what he weighs but at 33 inches he is the biggest channel I have ever caught. I will try again tonight to see if that was a fluke or not.

2. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    congrats! Whats a shortline?

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Pretty wild, amazing that you can catch em with just aluminum foil. Cheapest bait around it sounds like.

4. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    That's awesome! Never heard of using aluminum foil before. Congrats.

-Red

5. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I 'll try about anything , incuding tin foil .
    Brian

6. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I am here to tell you that it works, Metalfisher and I went out to Barney Chute last weekend and put out three lines in calm water. Got one before we left for the evening and had four on the hooks the nest morning and six hooks that they had gotten off from. Nice Cats to.

7. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Hey Grizz, note where you caught the cat.

You may need to reposition the line but don't give it up. You can use floats & weights with different length drops to change the depth you fish.

Lngbo and I should have caught more but I was not prepared and wasn't able to put the lines where they needed to be. Next time, I will be prepared and we will see what happens.

I need to get some batteries for my camera and take some pictures of the setup and the catch.

Robert

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    This is really crazy. I seen your thread before and glad you are catching them. I can imagine the faces on people if I try this and tell em the bait I was using. hehehe

Wonder if there is a size limit on Aluminum foil to use for bait. LMAO

I will try it though, thanks for letting us know brothers.

9. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    Yes metalfisher one of the lines is in to much current and the leads twisted around the main line. The water looked calm on top but I guess was to swift underneath. The line the fish was caught on is in an eddy at the bottom of a sandbar where I have caught 1 & 2 pounders on rod & reel. No I'm not giving up on the bait. I'll try anything 3 or 4 maybe 5 times. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with the rest of us. Buddah, I just means short trotlines. P.S. Got him [or her] weighed. 18 pounds. By far my PB channel cat. grizzly

10. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Robert,
    Have you ever tried using aluminum foil on a rod and reel?

If it ever cools down enough for me to go again I am going to try it. I'm gonna use bait too but with the aluminum foil added.
    I met a guy fishing several years ago that was fishing with a bobber and a night crawler and along between his splitshot and hook he had some foil kinda crinkled up on his line and he had a good stringer of fish with bass, cats, and crappie.

Have you caught something other than catfish?

ST

11. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    What makes the foil work is the action it gets from the floats jerking the line as the waves roll.

I guess it would work on a rod under a bobber. Rig several hooks under the bobber and bait with foil and give it a try.

You never know!!!

Robert

12. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I know a guy that uses the old pop and beer tabs that came all the way off when you pulled them..He shines them up and sets them about 2ft down with his line straight as a string and when the wind blows he catches nice fish:smile2:

13. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Yea buddy, the metal bait strikes again!!

Robert