aluminum floor

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by cat-n-eye, Jan 27, 2010.

1. cat-n-eye

cat-n-eye New Member

State:
    SD
    anyone have an idea of were to get some aluminum for cheap for the floor of a jon boat. Retail on that stuff us spendy and I'd like to avoid going that route if able.

2. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    all the aluminum i have ever bought to patch dump trucks and what not was expensive. its just high dollar stuff from what i have seen. hope you find some. if i were looking for it to put in a floor i would try the diamond plate. that way you could keep from slipping as much.

Welcome to the BOC BTW!!!

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome foreman. Good luck. High dollar stuff unless you have a contact. Some guys on here have been using it. They will know the latest cost.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Well, I figure it was my tax dollars that helped pay for them, so I and many others have used road signs. Just don't take any stop signs down.

That's the best danged aluminum I've ever used.

5. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Wonder if it was a "Slippery When Wet" sign LOL I would'nt advise that method tho LOL

6. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    if you know someone that works for the DOT you may be able to buy some old street signs.thats what i did.some may be slightly damaged,but the last NEW peice i bought was a 4x8 ft,.125 gauge=170.00.so some slight damage i can live with.

7. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I used street signs in the floor of my jon boat. FREE!!! Go to your local county or state roads building and ask if you can go thru the old signs. I got 2 bridge crossing signs (the ones w/ the weight limit for trucks on them) that were 4x4. Had my uncle shear it to size and used an electric jigsaw to cut out for the ribs. My signs have bullet holes in them, but i covered mine w/ carpet anyway. Works very well, and did i mention FREE! I also got a lot of the 2x2 signs that i have used for several other projects. That aluminum is very corrosion resistant also, i mean it sits out in the weather all the time.

8. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    yeah,thats some good stuff,but around here you gotta slip the man in charge a 20.00,they ain't givin you nothin here.:Money:

9. cantstopgrandma

State:
    MD

Still sounds like cheap aluminum to me :Happy:.

10. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    oh yeah,no dobt about it.it's the only way i go.

11. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Local scrap yards somtimes ya can get good sheet alum cheap. Road signs work great to Not only try the state shops but also the local county and city shops. Getting a 4x4 or better sheet for $20 to $40 bucks is a good deal.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  12. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    thought road signs were stainless

13. cantstopgrandma

State:
    MD

I guess it could be different in different parts of the country, but the ones i used were definately aluminum. They cut WAY too easy to be SS. They also dont bend worth a crap. They're some kind of hard brittle aluminum alloy.....i wish i knew how to bend it.

14. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
  15. cat-n-eye

cat-n-eye New Member

State:
    SD
    thanks guys. I'll be trying the city, county, state shops. I have a connection at the county. The place I got a price quote from wanted $215 for a piece 19" X 87". I just hung up on the guy. I'll put wood down before I pay for piece.

16. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    I see plenty of aluminum treadplate truck tool boxes for sale for $50 - $75 used of corse. if ya wanted to go that rout

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  17. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Don't think!

18. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Reason for thinking is because i had one that was stainless....

19. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Jeffro did it just fall off the pole it was mounted on into your truck /:angry:

20. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    lmao no my dad had it