Aluminum deck

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by kycomphers, Apr 18, 2006.

1. kycomphers

kycomphers New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i am thinking of installing an aluminum deck in my lowe 1648 and need some ideas for subfloor contruction. i was leaning towards 1 1/2 aluminum angle

2. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I built a deck on the same boat and just made a frame and put diamond plate over it and works out fine.

3. kycomphers

kycomphers New Member

State:
    kentucky
    what did you build your frame out of and how did you attach the frame to the boat? also how did you attach flooring?

4. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    My added deck was attached to 1 1/2" aluminum angle with pop rivites. The frame is pop riveted together also and riveited to the sides above the water line. It will hold two guys with no problems.

I have sent ya a PM with a few sites that have some nice pictures and info on them.

5. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    My frame is 3" channel and way it is attached to the boat is it has feet on each corner which has a piece of pipe cut in half to fit over the gunnels so you can remove it to use the boat for other things. The the deck is welded. I used it for bowfishing. But you could make the same thing and set it on top the gunnels and you have lots of space under it for storage. Look at this thread to see the deck.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12690

6. kycomphers

kycomphers New Member

State:
    kentucky
    now i guess my next question is where can i find some aluminum angle at a reasonable price. i have found it at a home improvement store locally but it is outragous

7. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I called around at local scrap yards and alum. recyclers. I got mine pretty cheap that way. It cost me about 60.00 for all the scrap alum for my deck.