Aluminum Boat Repair Question....

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by T-Bone, Nov 2, 2005.

1. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I've got a Jon Boat that needs welding. The bow of the boat has a crack in it shaped kinda like a W in away. Seems the front bunk has put pressure in the middle of the bow. I was hoping someone could tell me if HTS-2000 works. Or any other Rod type product that uses a torch. Any tips on using this stuff would be great also. I haven't priced just getting it welded yet, but, I'm sure that is gonna be more than I can afford right now. Is anybody here a welder that can give me a rough estimate on welding a split about 7"x5" ? There is a welded seam that runs across the bow and the damage is just below this seam , running across one of the ribs that run front to back. Thanks for any help you can give me.
    This is the only thing holding us up from making our Maden Voyage !

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    T-bone, I would use J B weld and some fiberglass ( the kind used in body repair). It has been my experiance that welds on the bow, where pressure is applied will fatigue and crack next to the weld. Fixed my john this way couple of years ago and no problems since.
    I would use the quickset type this time of year, cooler temps it set a little slower. Clean area around crack, removing oil, grease, paint, dirt etc. Mix some jb weld and using a putty knife apply weld to crack and then work in fiberglass ( wear rubber gloves). Can be done in sections. After proper set time apply a second coat over lapping first.

3. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Thanks BAM, I hadn't thought of that. I just might give that a shot. I sell the FG and resin, so that would help in cost staying low. That's a good idea.

4. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i am a welder an mostly weld aluminum boats , i would NEVER recomend any kind of jb weld or cauking. yes it might be a cheap fix but it will have to be done over an over again un till you are tired of fixing an the worst part is when you deside to fix it RIGHT (welding) it will cost you more because of the impuritys you have been putting in the alum. an for a 5 to 7 inch split myself i would charge only about 40 bucks. witch isnt very much. so if i was you i would go to a local welding shop that welds aluminum an have it welded. they will probebly have a flat minumum charge for welding walkin work but it shouldnt be more than 50bucks if it is find someone else. clean it well befor you take it to have it looked at for this will help with cost if you have already preped it to weld you will need a stainless steel wire brush of any kind as in a manual or air powered i prefer air but use what you have. you can go to any local hardware store an pick up a stainless steel brush for around 5 bucks. it mush be stainless steel to brush aluminum. an drill a very small hole at the ends of the cracks this will help stop splitting. if you do these 2 things first befor you have it looked at it still will probly cost about 40 or what ever their flat fee is but it should only take them about 5 mins to fix.

5. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Thanks for your imput there newatcats, I was knocked on my rump when the welder told me $100.00, However, I had the High School kids weld it up for me (the same ones that put my deck and floor together for me). It looks ugly but it is now fixed. They charged me $12.95, I bought them a small spool of Aluminum welding wire.

6. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    good deal - but if looks is a problem for you you can get someone to go over it with a tig welder, an smooth it right out. tig is the only way to fly welding aluminum boats. but im realy glad to hear you didnt try quick fixing.

7. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    newatcats is right on DON'T EVER try and fix any thing thats alum with jb weld :eek: been welding and in buisness for 42 years and once you put that s$!t on it you'll pay double to fix it right and the day will come you'll have to fix it. make sure ya drill that hole and get it clean,clean with solvent run a propane torch over the crack lighly to clean out the crack and wire brush. man $100.00 i think someone didn't want to do it or something may b he needed a new boat. lol. we charge in my shop 80.00 an hour with a 20.00 min. and if its all prept it should take less 1/2 hr or 40.00

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    these guys are right i had problems with my 14 foot jon this summer. please dont waste your time on any over the counter stuff, i have already went those routes get it welded. anyone on here in the dayton ohio area that does alum welding? my other boat needs welded now.

9. lonegunman88240

lonegunman88240 New Member

State:
    new mexico
    i hate to hear that i shouldnt use jb weld on aluminum boats, bought a used john boat with many leaks and fixed all with jb weld, sanded it down and painted over it, held up for many years so far, but have been thinking since now i have a better job and more money, to put a wire wheel in a drill and remove the jb weld and have it all welded up

10. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Thanks for all the advice. You may know from another thread that I took my boat to the local High School and the shop teacher and kids put in a nice floor and extra deck and also welded the crack up for me. I'm very proud of the job those kids did. It turned into a class project and a big part of the kid's grade. I don't think the crack will return cause it seems as if the kids competed against one another on who could weld the best. I now have lots of weld up front.

I agree with everyone's idea about fixing it right. At the time the funds were low, but as luck would have it (I'm not too luckey most of the time), I made a shop call on a customer who happens to be the shop teacher also. He took on the job with very little cost to me. Only paid for some rivites and angle.

Thanks again to all that replyed.