Aluminum Boat buying opinions wanted

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by fridaybocopw, Feb 27, 2009.

1. fridaybocopw

fridaybocopw New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm looking for a river boat, we have two fiberglass boats(by we I mean my parents and grandparents) and I want a aluminum boat I cant take out on the Missouri since they don't want theirs out there. I'd like to have something around 18 ft since I'm probably only goin to catfish out of it and use their boats on the lakes to crappie fish and what have you. My price range is goin to be around 15k and I want to Brand new one from the dealer, I am tired of messing with used crap. I don't have to have a big motor just something that will handle the muddy missouri. With this price range what brands should I be looking at and what should I shy away from? I'd like the driver and passenger seat to spin also, my friends old boat had that nice feature and I can't remember what brand it was. I'm around columbia and go to warsaw some so those areas are probably where Ill be looking at boats. Thanks for any info.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Go chat with the guys at Missouri River Outfitters - there's a SeaArk that will meet your needs and won't break the bank. SeaArk's are some of the best boats out there, certainly some of the most rugged and well-built.

3. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Hey Mike I bought my boat at M R O and you can't go wrong with a SeaArk. I shopped it against several other brands and have never regretted my purchase. It's amazing how these boats are put together I've hit 2 submerged wing dikes hard and you couldn't tell it by looking under the boat. Call Monte at M R O 573.474.6699 and he'll set you up! I also have a 2008 Suzuki 50 4stroke for sale you can ask Monte about it. Go to my pictures album and you can see the boat I purchased under in that price range.

4. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    Mike there are lots of good brands of welded aluminum boats available(seaark, lowe, wareagle, weld-craft, express, crestliner etc.)
    Don't just shop for boat brand. Shop for a dealer as well, it can be very important to get great service after the sell.

Most dealers are struggling right now, so they really wanting to move inventory.

Good luck, shopping is half the fun.

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I know my next boat is going to be a seaark. Like eveyone said there a great boat made for the river. 15k is enough to get what you want and a good size motor for it.

6. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Mike be sure to check out all the brands. They all make good and bad. Look to see what fits you the best. Also motor brand check to see what you like. Good luck in your quest for a new boat.

Tom

7. fridaybocopw

fridaybocopw New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yea already thinkin of motor brands, goin to be a honda or yamaha. Sorry to you suzuki guys I know a few of you had them. My step brother had a suzuki dirt bike, it had one cylinder, It was JUNK. I don't think I want one with 6 cylinders lol. Mercury they are good motors, they are on our other boats, Im a chevy guy and that would be sacreligious lol. ok enough joking they are all good in their own class its just a preference im just more familiar with honda and yamaha. Now another question do I go for the old 2 stroker or the 4 strokes? How are the 4's doin? Are the smaller ones getting people around with a little speed?

8. medford

medford New Member

State:
    pleasant h
    mike go with the 4 stroke i just got a new boat and i have a 75 4 stroke on it and it is the greatist ck it out in my profile in albums

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Ditto Marty's Post. I sent you a message as well. Good luck with the quest for the new rig.

10. fridaybocopw

fridaybocopw New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was kinda leanin toward the 4 stroke already since 2 stroke are not goin to be produced for much longer. My next question is the size I'm goin to need. I'll probably be on the missouri more than anywhere else, is 18 ft goin to be big enough or can I go smaller or do I need to go bigger? I know you can take smaller boats out there but I don't really want to be swimming out there. Thanks

11. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    18 foot is plenty big. Sounds like you know nothing about the river. Maybe you should fish with a few different people and learn something about the water first. You also will get to be in a few different boats. Now that is key. EVERYONE has a different kind of boat they like to fish out of. I know when I bought my first river boat it was a 18 foot roughneck. Six months later I knew I screwed up and bought the wrong one. :roll_eyes: Good boat but not very useful. I had to do to many mods to it. Some people like a big back deck others do not. There is no question I learned something after my first boat. The boat I have now is a lot better but still not the ONE. I'm also learning a lot about motors a long the way. I know all brands of motors are good or they would not be in business. I like one that wont break the bank when I buy it. You also got to look at who is close by to buy parts from or fix it. You are going to need there service sooner or later. :wink: Oh well you live and learn....

12. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I have owned quite a few boats. I now own a Sea Ark with a 4 stroke yamaha. I cannot find one bad thing to say about either. The boat is almost indistructable and the Yammie I have had for 3 years now and it runs great. Good gas mileage and quiet. Havent had one problem with it. To me there are no other brand names. Now all you need is a dealer to put it in your price range. By the way the 4 stroke is more expensive initially but you will save so much on gas and 2 stroke oil it wont take long to make up the difference.

13. fridaybocopw

fridaybocopw New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thats my problem no one ever wants to go when I can go, Thats why I want my own boat.

14. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    the only thing i can say bad about the 4 strokes is they are lot more expensive to fix and purchase parts for. so if u buy a used one keep that in mind. i know my luck i always have to work on stuff. so just keep that in mind too.

15. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Mike I probably run the smaller of the boats on the Missouri. Mine is Seaark 1760 with a 50 hp four stroke. It's great for a couple of guys but a little tight when you get 3 or 4 on it. I can run down river bymyself at 33-34 mph. I get great gas mileage, very seldom have to fill up but I do want more speed which will kill my gas mileage. I fish every Wednesday and Sunday which are my only days off. Just let me know if you want to hit the river sometime.

Jeff I promise we'll fish TH sometime soon!:wink: I'm kinda a river rat.

16. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Lots of good info here, but especially Josh's (Crazy). Rare if ever does anyone stick with their first boat. It's only after being in many boats that are outfitted in different ways, will you know what is right for you. I've owned a dozen boats in my life, yet the first time I rode in a center console, I knew I'd never settle for anything else again. Right now, I have a G3 1860DLX center console River Jon that looks nothing like it did when I bought it. LOL My old 1985 Johnson 50hp I have on it has outlasted 3 other boats. I tend to hang on to things that work out for me. Could explain why I've been married for 36 years.