Alumacraft jon boats?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by bigzurn08, Jan 25, 2009.

1. bigzurn08

bigzurn08 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm new to this site, I'm 18yrs old, I'm an avid fisherman, I love fishing for big cats with jug-lines and trot-lines, with the occasional rod&reel. I'm from East Texas I have a lot of water available to me. I'm looking at buying a boat my grandfather sold his Aluma-Weld, I work for Academy sports and outdoors and I can get a 15'x42'' Alumacraft jon-boat for $800.
    I've seen a lot of these boats on the river, but I've never talked to an owner.
    I know the riveted design is not as desirable as an all-weld but that's the difference in $$
    Any thoughts/opinions on these boats greatly appreciated.
    Thank you for your time and have a good day.

2. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jordan welcome to the Boc! What kind of waters are you fishing? This will help you determine what kind of boat you need. Do you fish rivers or lakes? How big are the bodies of water? Are you gonna need a motor? The welded boat is much better than rivited yes , you just need to figure out what suits your needs. I had small jon like what you are looking at, fliped it over in a small river in Ohio and that was the end of my small jon boat days.Let us know what kind of water you will be fishing.

3. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Jordon , the riveted boat should work fine for you and save some $$$ :wink:

4. bigzurn08

bigzurn08 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Mainly lakes by myself with the occasional trip downriver for some trotlines. Down here in east Texas I'm usually on the Sabine during the summer months and it gets pretty dry so the water level is average low and moves pretty slow, which is alright you can see most of the stumps you can steer around.
    As far as outboard I looking at a 5hp b&s air-cooled outboard, I know they are loud, but for $600 and my first rig I believe it will work nicely.

5. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The rivited boat will be fine for you then. Good luck and be carefull.

6. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Jordan, I started out with a jon boat as well did a whole of other people. My first one I carried in the back of the truck and I did a ton of fishing with it. Look in the thrifty nickel and craig list. Lots of good deals sometimes. Welded is better but I have owned riveted boats. Take your time and get what you want. Good luck.

7. bigzurn08

bigzurn08 New Member

State:
    Texas
    thanks

8. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    If you take care of it, a riveted jon will last a very long time. If you abuse it, it won't. It's that simple. Moreover, a riveted jon is much lighter than it's welded kin, and will perform better with a smaller motor.

On the other hand, you couldn't give me one of those B&S POS. Look around, and find a nice, used 9.9hp 2 stroke...you'll be much happier, trust me.

9. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I have an alumacraft jon boat, just bought it 2 years ago. My boat is a 14x48 riveted and i love it. I've added things that have made it more useful, such as lights and cleats, etc. I really dont see why people think riveted jon boats are so inferior. If you take care of a riveted boat, it will most likely last longer than you care to keep it. Dad has a 1972 riveted boat that has just started to leak (barely). My uncle has a 1974 that doesn't leak a drop, and it hasn't been taken care of, and has had a hard life (we just busted 1.5-2" ice last weekend with it). Riveted boats are cheaper to buy and lighter, making them perform better with smaller motors. If it was me buying the boat, i would probably go with the 1448 instead of the 1542 if you can get them for similar prices. I've been in a lot of jon boats, and to me that extra 6" wide is better than the extra foot long. Its a more stable boat if you wanna stand up and fish or stretch. But that is just MHO. You can go just about anywhere in a boat that size, as long as you pick and choose your days on larger bodies of water. Good luck with your purchase. That little B&S air cooled wont be fast, but it will get you there. To put it in dad's words (when i complained about how slow his trolling motor was as a kid), "it sure beats rowing".

10. bigzurn08

bigzurn08 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've paddled and I've used a trolling motor,
    I've also dropped my paddle and drained my battery. So any means of mechanical power is welcome, as long as it's not steam lol

Quote Grandpa " you dont be quiet, we'll use you for bait"

11. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Try looking on craigs list for a motor for the price of the B&S 5hp you can get a nice older unit. The B&S does not have a tilt feature on it so when you get in shallow water you will have to remove it and then put it back on when it gets deep enough again.