Alumacraft 2072? Might be buying one, any input?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Catfish Pursuit, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Went to Cabela's today boat shopping and might be buying an Alumacraft 2072 side console with a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke. Seems like a nice boat for the money. I was going to buy a Crestliner 1870 from Midwest Marine in Harrisonville but the boat only comes with one seat. Dealer said he could sell me more seats but wanted to also charge me 3 hours labor to install, kind of a rip since he should be glad to just sell the boat. Also was going to charge me for a prop and battery, plus labor to install. The Alumacraft comes with everything, windshield, 4 seats, rod storage, battery, prop, for about $21,000. Will know if I get approved tomorrow, just wondering if anyone has owned or has experience with these? Cabelas will install anything I want to add at no extra cost too plus I get a $1,000 rebate from Alumacraft, and a $500 shopping card for Cabelas with purchase. Chris

2. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    i love my Alumacraft navagtor sport. i do'nt see you going wrong

3. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    sounds like a good deal, good boat too

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Before you fall in love with it too much, just make sure it's suited for the way you want to fish.

Sit in the boat for a while - not just a minute or two - and imagine how you'll set it up for fishing. Can you put your rod holders where you want to and sit where you want to? Are you going to be tripping over stuff (like bench seats) all the time when you move around in the boat? Does it have storage for the things you need to keep with you on the boat? Is the livewell big enough? (they never are, BTW) Do you have someplace to keep live bait if you want or someplace to put a bait tank like a Grayline or Creek Bank? Is it a flat bottom or "modified Vee" or a full vee? If you fish any rough water at all, anything less than a 12 degree hull is going to beat you to death, especially in a light chop like you get when the wind blows upriver on the Missouri. Takes the fun right out of it.

The Yamaha 4-stroke is a great motor, so you won't go wrong there. Just don't jump too quick on a boat if it's not really the one you want and if it's not really going to work for your fishing style.

5. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Marty had some good advice. I've had experience with a 150 Yamaha 4 Stroke. The metal they use for the prop shaft in a Yamaha 4 Stroke is weak. They don't take much to bend. I've had several mechanics tell me this. I personally like a Mercury. Mine is a 4 stroke 115 no complaints.