Alum Creek Water Level

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by smoothkip25, Oct 24, 2008.

1. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Talked to a park Ranger last night while fishing he told me that they are dropping alum creek 6 to 7 more feet. The whole north end of the lake will be nothing but mud!

2. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    hey kip, that would be a good time to take pics and mark stucture on your map,so go explore, i did that at alum in the 80,s and that map helped a great deal,,it will give you an advantage in future fishin trips.:wink:

3. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've only been fishing Alumn the last month. Is it up around hogbackthat you"re talking about?:confused2:

4. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio

5. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have only fished at the Howard rd boat ramp, never caught anything os size there,biggest about 2 lbs. Is the fishing any better south of there around Chesire rd?

6. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ive caught some real nice channels at the culvert by chesire market. And ive caught alot of 5 and 6 pounders at howard road ive caught a 8.5 two 10s and a 13 there also all on live warmouths. only caught small ones on cut bait! I caught a real solid 11.5 at that culvert by chesire market also on live warmouth.

7. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks, do you bank fish or out of a boat? Soon as the boss gets home I'm going fishing.

8. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I bank fish. Its been a little slow here latley. No big fish at all in the shallows. I tell ya Ive caught some decent fish under the howard road bridge its deep in there! Ive hit about 20 or 30 different coves up this year and i only had good luck in 2 ive fished. Let me know and ill show ya some time. You live close to alum and hoover? I to are waiting for momma to get home. lol. Im headed to dillon lake tonight.

9. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I live right between the two lakes, at Morse and Karl roads. Hoover is a bit closer but Alumn isn't that much further. Would love to go fishing with you sometime.

10. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Sounds good! I go 3 or 4 times a week. I work 2nd shift so i get off at 11pm. I usually have plenty of bait! Just get ahold of me when you want to go.

11. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    DO you use shad at all? I do a fair job with a thrownet. I work retail so it is a mixture of hours, but looking forward to the chance.

12. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Yeah i catch shad with a cast net but i just ripped mine. I use cut shad alot there! The big ones are not as schooled up as past years but i catch em here and there. Im ok with a net. no pro though. Im alot better with a 3.5 footer. I just ripped my 5 footer. and im a short guy and is alot harder to throw.

13. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Went to Alumn, the water is way down and finding a place to fish was tough. Elected to fish the channel at Howard rd with cust shad, was there for about two hours without a bite. I was fishing one on the bottom and one suspended about 14 feet.

14. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    ec43146, I caught this about 2 and a half weeks ago. You could almost see the boat ramp from where I was fishing. I use only cut shad all year long. This one was 12 pound 3oz. I'll fish Alum and Delaware until ice out fishing deep holes - this time of the year the big cats are loking for that easy meal.

Attached Files:

15. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    That is a nice one! All the cats ive caught this year out of there are really healthy looking! Looks like he hasnt missed a meal! LOL! I take it your fishing from a boat? Cause there is only a few spots i can hit the deep holes from the bank!

16. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Yes, I am fishing from the boat now. If you spend much time at Alum I'm sure you know it's just a matter of time now this time of year the water will get too low to launch at Howard Rd. A couple of things that I was doing the last few years, I have a small 10' Coleman crawdad boat. I can put this in easily from any open shore area. From there I'll find a nice spot close to deep water and go ashore and set up. I'll fish from the bank quit a bit during the colder weather. I can get to places where the game warden won't follow, then I'll start a fire to keep warm - you got to watch this because they will ticket you. The boat also helps you get to the shad for bait - normally they won't be in the shallows. Another trick I fish with 12' spinning rods and 2 to 3oz sinkers to reach the deeper water. Now it looks like I'm fishing for whales due to the size of the rods, but they play a 2lb fish just as well as a 12lb. You'll know it's me I'll be the only guy on the lake fishing in 15 degree weather with blowing rain - which will be the norm in another month or 2. If you don't fish for cold weather cats - you owe it to yourself to give it a try - yea it's cold wet and nasty but those big cats make it worth while. This also works very good at Delaware also you have a lot more bank fishing you can walk to there. I can't seem to catch anything over 11.5 pounder at Delaware, but you will catch 7,8,9,10lbers there which is a darn good fight.

17. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    This is my first year fishing alum! Ive done pretty well up there this year! Caught quite a few nice cats over 10lbs. Just how low does the howard road area get? I drove up to hogback road the other day and it was a mud hole you could see the bottom from the look out point! And how deep does the main creek channel stay?

18. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    That area is shallow to start with ( Hogback). Right now out to the channel directly off the the boat ramp it's 14'. The problem is the ramp area itself, there is a small channel going from boat ramp to main channel it's about 7 to 8 feet now and shallower closer to the ramp. Last year it was so low at the ramp they placed a barricade so you couldn't use the ramp. By the parking lot area,with low water you will be able to walk out about 70 yards from shore maybe a little farther. The bridge at Howard Rd. is the start of deep water heading south - going north from bridge is upstream now at about 16' right at bridge shallowing to about 8' at the first turn to the right , right side of turn has a long line of rocks and very shallow- there is a deeper hole before the turn. Next turn to the left starts getting shallow and now very shallow 2'3',4' maybe- this works it's self toward the area you speak of. For me I don't fish this area at all. Bridge area at 36 - 22' , 24'. Parking lot before 36 bridge to the right a very long cast will put you in maybe 10' to 12' of water the mouth of that small channel maybe just a little deeper on a long cast. Plenty of parking and easy access to the water. Under bridge at Cheshire Rd. 28' to 30' maybe. I don't like and don't use the other boat ramps - really don't care for that end of the lake at all - I'm sure there are some monsters swimming around there 40' and 45' deep in some areas. Normally in nice weather too many idiots with their pleasure boats.

19. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the info, I just started at Alumn so any help is appreciated.

20. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Went to alum today! Yeah they dropped the water! It was so low its unbelievable. I took the poles and some shad but i pretty much just walked around and checked out spots for next year! Met a really nice fellow down fishing for channels by chesire market he didnt do any good today not even a run. I tell ya i seen alot of places that prob. really holds cats in the warmer months alot of big timber and rocks in the shallows. Im going to get as much scouting in as possible. Going to check out the howard road area tomorrow! It was a good day to get out but i pretty much just walked around and BSed with a bunch of fisherman. It was a good day even though i didnt catch anything!