Alum Creek Tips

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by fish-n-fool, May 18, 2006.

1. fish-n-fool

fish-n-fool New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am camping @ Alum this Friday - Monday and am taking my boat. I have only been to Alum 1 time a fews years back, so I know nothing about the lake area. When I travel to Columbus area to fish I typically take my little boat with the 9.9 and head over to Hoover.

You central Ohio guys got any tips or info on fishing the lake? I'm not asking for your spots, just a point to the right area of the lake or general advice.

Let me have it!

2. fish-n-fool

fish-n-fool New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Forgot to add - my boat is a 19 ft Starcraft Center Console, Johnson 70 HP,
    red bimini top (when up) - if any of you guys see me come say hello!

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ive fished Alum a lot and usually just use worms or chicken liver Ive tried the packaged shad but didnt get any hits off of it. Try near the chesire bridge there is some good places bank and boat by there. I dont have any real spots that I could point you to tho Im kinda hit and miss and lately its been miss there LOL.

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Good luck, I have only fished Alum once or twice and it was by bank and got a couple 2-3 lb channels. Hope you catch some big ones.

5. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    My brother has been fishing there before once with a friend. I think they caught 7 channel in one night.

6. catmancats

catmancats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Alum is one of the lakes i fish for cats on a regular basis......

This time of year i try to stay north of Howard Rd in the river part of the lake... After going under Howard rd. bridge keep going north until the first bend in the river (To the right). The Channel runs on the right side and is shallower on the left Been getting alot of nice cats along that stretch.... Nothing over 8lbs yet but they are there. Theres not alot of cover in this area but for some reason channel cats have been laying on the channel edge there for about 3 to 4 weeks.......

Also the first cove south of Howard Rd. boat ramp on the East side is a good place to try for the larger flatheads.. You will know its the correct cove by all the stumps sticking out of the water. Theres lots of tember(Cover) in there. I have seen a lot of flatheads taken out of there in the last 5 yrs

Also i fished a Trny at Alum last weekend and all the larger cats were cuaght on cut bait and fresh shad. I you cant catch your own shad dont waste your time buying the bagged up stuff you see on the shelf that stuff couldnt catch a cold , frozen shad is ok not as good a fresh but you can still catch cats with it.....

Since your gonna be camping there if you put your boat in at the camp ground ramp head north but dont go to the right towards the 36/37 bridge , go left into Gig Run Creek... Theres alot of decent places back there to catch some cats.. Aslo theres been alot of flatheads taken out o there in recent yrs......

Hope this helps you out , Those are my favorite spots and usually produce fish..... if you need anything else just ask ill be glad to help i i can ..................

7. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Wow Allen.. A lot of great info. I've fished Alum Creek a few times with little result. I did catch a 2# channel near Cheshire Bridge, the only problem, I was fishing for Crappie with a small white Mister Twister..
    Is the Channel north of Howard Rd. deep enough for a medium sized boat? I have a 14' Fiberglass w/25hp and I've been afraid to travel up very far. I shouldn't worry though, my prop is already trashed.:roll_eyes:

8. catmancats

catmancats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Oh ya the channel usually runs about 12 feet to 14 feet but ya need to watch when ya get to the first bend to the right , theres a big gravel bar out there and it gets pretty shallow but as long as you stay on the right side after going under Howard rd. bridge and taking the turn on the right side you will be fine........ we take our 17ft bass boat up there all the way to the end of main lake where it turns into a creek about 1 mile from Kilborn... Stay on the right side though cause the channel runs on the right all the way till ya get past the cliffs..............