Alum Creek cats

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Vonroc, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Went fishing Saturday night 12/8. Started at Delaware reservoir in the area of boat ramp on Horseshoe Rd. already iced over in this area. Went to Alum , stopped by boat ramp area at Howard Rd. this area iced over as well. Went further south found some open water . Temps around 32 to 34 degrees - about 9:30 PM. Fished till around 1:00 AM. Caught 4 cats largest 4 pound had 2 other hits but couldn't stick them. All caught on frozen shad .Stopped just prior to the rain - got lucky I guess, after loading everything back into the truck started the engine to warm it up rain started. As the cold weather starts to move in this was probably the last trip for cats of the year. Only thing I can hope for now if a few warmer days to melt the ice - if so I'll be out there at it again.

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Sounds like an intersting trip nonetheless....Do you always fish at night even this far into the year?

3. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    tbull, I do target big cats in November and December till ice out at night. Unfortunately lower water levels than normal has effected my success at Alum . While Delaware was lowered all at once it seems instead of a gradual lowering over a couple of weeks. November to early December normally is very productive at both reservoirs. Levels started to lower this year at Alum very early possibly due to the oil spill this year. Also my work schedule effect my available time to fish. I try to get in at least 10 or more trips during this time prior to ice out. It does get cold while night fishing , but it seems nights are more productive . During these months bigger cats are the norm if you can hit the deeper water. Previous years produced many 8 to 12 pound cats. My trip Saturday was to an area much shallower . I try to target 12' to 20' depths, at times using 12' rods to be able to cast to these waters. Daylight trips seem to produce smaller cats than the night trips. I'll admit some will call me crazy fishing during the winter for cats, give it a try next year you won't be disappointed.

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    We're not crazy ROC, we are adventure seeking catfishermen lol. There are tons of cats out there to catch all winter for those few brave souls willing to put up with a little cold lol. They are not pressured at all, you will most likely be the only boat you see all day on some waters. Thanks for the info, we need more data on winter catfishing on this site.

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Right on Michael, the fish here stopped biting at night for me in November so I guess I kind of gave up night fishing till spring. Glad you are still cathing them though.