Alum Creek 5/15/09

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catmancats, May 17, 2009.

1. catmancats

catmancats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey everyone , Been awhile since i've posted anything here. Really didnt do alot of fishing last year when my old man pass away last March it kinda took the spirit out of me since that was my favorite fishing partner.....

A friend of mine and myself took the boat out Friday night from about 8:00 pm till about 3:00am. It started out slow. We put the boat in a Howard rd. ramp and headed north to the mouth of the river anticipating spawning cats we anchored and started fishing the shallows 2ft or less in the weedbeds. After about an hour with limited results and i do mean limited results , we managed to bring in 2 keepers 17'' and a 19''. We then decided to start working our way back South stopping at different locations when little or no success when it occured to me there were no shad flopping on the suface in the shallows which in turn ment the cats werent going tobe in the shallows eaither. We manged to find active shad in about 8 ft. of water , and managed to find some nice cats in that same depth range 6 ft. to about 12 ft. of water. By the end of the night we managed to bring in some really nice cats the biggest being a 29" channel with nothing smaller than 16" i think we caught 23 or 24 total for the night. Not a bad night of fishing.

We used mainly shrimp and fresh shad heads not whole shad just the heads. I used a modified Carolina rig and my friend was using bobbers fished about 1 to 2 ft. off the bottom. As soon as i figure out how to get these pictures off my camera ill upload some of them.

I dont know if its just me or not but the cats seem tobe starting there spawn a little late this year. But were gonna be going back out next Saturday and try again....

Good to see alot of people still active on this site , hope to see you all on the lake soon.......

2. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    congrats on a good nite of cattin

3. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Congrats on a good night