Alum Creek 4-14-07

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catmancats, Apr 14, 2007.

1. catmancats

catmancats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well let me start off by saying it was miserable out today rain, freezing rain , snow , sleet and windy all day......... We fished from 1:00pm to 7:00pm from the bank , decided not to bother with the boat today just be too much of a hasle as cold as it was. We fished just south of howard in the first cove on the east side. largest fish was 24 3/4 inches smallest was 16 inches , 4 fish caught total. fishing depth was about 15ft I know this because ive had my boat in that cove a number of times. All the fish were caught on shrimp and a store bought package of cut shad.... Yes i said store bought cut shad. First time ive see this stuff so i thought i would give it try and it actually worked really good had alot of nice hits with it , just too cold to take your hands out of your pockets to set the hook lol.... Cant wait till the water warms and the kittys get more active I think this bait shows some real promise. We tried fishing at different depths with every kind of rig there is and the only thing that was producing any kind of hits was the Carolina rig with enough bait to keep the hook on the bottom. The fish that were biting seemed tobe fairly agressive (pole benders) not nibblers. Keep in mind we should have had alot more fish but the cold slowed our reflexes just a bit.

Baits Used

ckicken liver ................. Nothing
    crawlers ...................... Nothing
    Fresh shad ................... Nothing
    Shrimp ........................ 3
    Store bought cut shat ... 1

Missed fish ................... Aprox 6 to 10

My Unprofessional Opinion

I believe what has happened since the last time i was out last week the water temp dropped and caused the fish to move back to deeper water. They werent suspending at all that i could tell but still seemed tobe fairly active in deeper water anything over 10 ft. There may have been fish at shallower depths but they werent hitting or just didnt like what we were offering them. I do believe that bait i used the first time today will be good when the weather turns and stays warm.... I dont remember what the name of it was cause i thew the package away before we left the lake. I'll goto the store tomorrow and get another package and let you all know... I can tell ya this it was red colored and very oily and was cut in little squares....

Well thats about it , hope this helps some of you kitty hunters out there........

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Way to go bro, a fine day. lol I'm too old to go out in this kind of weather. I'm not surprised the shad worked. Channels are funny about what the will bite on. the next time you use the shad it may not work and the liver will.:crazy: :roll_eyes: :wink:

3. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Good to see you got out and had some luck. Can't wait for this weather to come around.

4. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Real nice fishing report! Glad you caught some fish for the effort.

5. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    I agree that was a very good informative post and we need more like them

6. Catstalker07

Catstalker07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good post. It's been awhile since I have fished that area. I fish for channels till around June then start on the flatheads. Good luck.

7. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Great post, keep them coming! Thanks, Abu65

8. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks, Very informative post. Hope to get back out, soon.

9. catfish_hunter79

catfish_hunter79 New Member

State:
    ohio
    me and my son was out last night and we caught 2 nice ones we would had got more but there was school today if anyone out there knows where we can go get 30lb and over cats let me know. and worms work the best i have seen so far.

10. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    If I wouldve known they were biting at Alum I wouldve gone there LOL, Allen which cove were you at? Ive tried off of Old State route just past the marina seems to be a good spot but Ive never gotten anything. The best place Ive done is on that Handicap patio thing right next to the bridge (Chesire).

11. Ohio Trophy Hunter

Ohio Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    nice report! i almost always do well up there. i have noticed the cut shad works best early in the year or when the water's really cold. it's a natural forage just after ice out as many native shad are killed off in winter and frozen in the lake ice. i also notice that alum and scioto cats are not exactly shy when it comes to hitting frozen shad this time of year! KA-BAM!
    my local wally world (the new one on bethel rd. in columbus) had 2.5# packages of 60-80 count raw shrimp in shell price reduced to $3.00 the other day. only got one due to limited freezer space. time to clean the freezer out!

Eric B

12. catmancats

catmancats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey Gary ill explain to ya exactly where the cove is that we fished Saturday.... If you know where Howard Rd. Boat ramp is its the first cove south of the boat ramp on the same side (east side). you will know its the right one by all the stumps and trees sticking out of the water...... the water level in that cove at the deepest spot is around 18ft. I fish this cove regularly but usually go in there with my boat. Ive seen alot of flat heads taken from this same cove through out the yrs also........ Shrimp is my bait of choice or fresh caught shad, but im gonna give that cut shad i baught saturday a try again it really seemed to do good for what it cost , and being from a store.....

13. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Hey Allen I know where your talking about now especially after you mentioned the stumps Ive fished that area, altho the last time I did I just used worms cause I hadnt listened to people here on the site to use live bait :eek:oooh:. When are you going on saturday Im planning on going to the spring game at 11ish then going to Alum for some fishing with the family.

14. catmancats

catmancats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Im gonna try to get down there in the evening around 5 or 6pm ... we just baught another boat so im gonna try to get it ready by then. If not im gonna bank fish again in the same place , since we sold our other boat to a friend of mine.. I will have to get back to ya on the time , but would be glad to share some experiance with ya , 2 old dogs learning new tricks (This could get ugly) lol ...........

15. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Anyone planning on going to Alum tonight? Im planning on bringing both my boys for a couple of hours at least till they get tired.