Alton

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by FREESPOOL, Apr 25, 2008.

1. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Anyone been on the Mississippi near Alton recently? I'm pretty sure Maple Island is under water. Anyone know if Alton Marina is good to go? How's the river over all? My brother is in town from Maryland, and I'm taking him fishing tomorrow. I haven't been on the river in a couple weeks. Hopefully we can stick a nice fish so he can see what kind of excitement blue catfishing offers.

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Maple Island will be underwater!

I'd suggest you hit Weldon Springs tomorrow to pre-fish for the tourney next weekend.:wink: Thats where I'll be.

Your partner HarryOld is looking for an open seat somewhere tomorrow too.:wink:

My boat is full with two stepsons and maybe my brother!

3. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I'd prefer to stay around Alton.. With the water being high, at least I know this area somewhat. Gonna be my son, brother, dad, and me on board. So, I think I want to be somewhere I'm familiar with. :smile2:
    I'm wanting to head down towards the chain of rocks. Which means, we'll probably wind up fishing on the Missouri a bit too. I just hope there isn't to much trash floating. I guess if it's to bad we'll just stay closer to the ramp.

Hey... I'm on a fresh format and forgot to save my favorites. Somebody happen to have the river levels link handy?

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
  5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey Dan good luck on your fishing trip glad to hear your brother got to come in, good luck hopefully the fish will be biting and you all can catch you some fish keep us posted on how you do.

6. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Dan, there's always the the best and most reliable ramp in the whole area, Columbia Bottoms.

7. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    That's an idea Michael. I've never launched there. Think it's in good shape about now? That'll put me closer to where I'm wanting to fish.

8. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    The river would have to be SCREAMIN' HIGH for the Columbia Bottoms ramp to be unusable. I launched there last weekend and it was in great shape.

9. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    CB it is! :cool2:

10. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Well, we all met up at Columbia Bottoms at about 8:30 today. Turned out to be my brother, brother-in-law, dad, son, and me!!! :eek:oooh: Got the boat all ready to go, backed it down the ramp..... And my toons didn't even touch the water. :angry: The top of the ramp doesn't have much of an incline, and with the water being so high.... It didn't work out to well.
    So without wasting any more time we headed to Alton Marina. We were able to put in there with no problem. I was originally going to head down river. But when I called Mel Price on the radio, they said the coast gaurd wasn't letting any recreational vessels through. They had the tainter gates wide open, along with the locks.
    I tell you what.... My 7 year old boy is a better fisherman than my brother or brother in law. After 2 hours on the water, they were both ready to get off!!! :roll_eyes: Don't think I'll be fishing with either of them much more. :smile2: We wound up just fishing 2 different spots. I caught a 19lber. And we had 2 more fish on that we couldn't get to the boat. We had fun, but I could have stayed another 6 hours. Oh, well. At least the fish are taking my bait finally!!
    [​IMG]

11. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Congratulations Freespool! Sounds like you guys had a good time out there for a couple of hours. Always hate when a trip gets cut short, especially when the little ones are not the ones wanting to go.