Alton Tailwater ramp location. (HELP)

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Branj796, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Was wondering if anyone could help me out. I am planning a trip to the Alton tailwaters and am not sure where a ramp is located. As close as possible. Any inforormation is appreciated. Thanks

2. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    columbia bottoms conservation area

3. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    The water is running high right now... You might be able to put in at the dam

4. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    Jake
    When are you planning your trip? They have the aux lock working so you can launch at the Alton Marina and lock thru or there is the maple Island ramp just below the locks. I was over that way Sunday but didn't look at the maple island ramp.

5. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Jake,

If I don't go bow hunting this weekend, I'll be there Friday or Saturday. I am planning to do an all day bait fishing trip. I get tired of spending 4 hours before I catfish casting for baitfish. So I decided to plan a whole day to catch baitfish. I just purchased a Food Saver, so I am eager to use it. :big_smile:

I didn't go last weekend because the river had a lot of debris in the water!! But, I believe it is possible to put in below the Alton dam now. AND, they've cleaned it out a bit. My experience last time on that ramp was NOT GOOD! The water level dropped almost 3' overnight and next morning I was practically loading my boat through mud! NO JOKE! I was panicking! I wish I had pictures, people would chit that I was even able to get the boat out.:confused2:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  6. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Trying to plan a trip soon. Anyone have any pointers for me? I have never fished this area of the river. Any good spots to fish or get bait? Any info would be helpful.