Alton Ramp Conditions?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by 3dukmn, May 16, 2008.

1. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I know I should drive down and look for myself, but the cost of gas is causing me to cut corners, so I was hoping someone could tell me if I could launch my boat from beneath the Alton (Mel Price) Dam?

I'd hate to drive all the way down there and find out I can't. I am going to drive out and look at the Cuivre Island access tonight. I may just go out of there if I can.

Thanks

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Well looky who it is. How ya been Todd? Man, a lot has changed since you've been around. Check out the "Partners In Catfishing" area and look up Gateway Cat's.

As for below Alton, I can only tell ya what I have heard from others here. It's up and high up at that. Too high from what is being said. Most here are putting in at Columbia Bottoms or above the dam, Alton Marina or Piasa Creek.

Nice seeing ya on again, don't stay away soo long.

3. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    bellow the dam is under water, Piasa is darn near uder water, expect to get your truck wet. and Alton Marina is just about right.

4. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Kutter - buddy - how've you been. I have been AWOL for a while.

I got a chance to go fishing with a bud in Cape, but have been pre-occupied with Turkeys for a couple weeks, but that is done, and I'm ready to get at them.

Too bad about Alton. I'm not familiar with Columbia bottoms, so without a pre-scouting trip, I'm gonna go with what I know for right now. Looks like I need to go have a gander at the Cuivre Island access. I'll do that this afternoon and pass on what I find.

5. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Todd. Good to see you back on the BOC.
    The Columbia bottoms is an access ramp . It is a great place to launch. Turn north ,just before or after depending on which way you are traveling, the 270 bridge going across the MISS river. it is about 3 miles north of 270.
    Good luck fishing.

6. noj77

noj77 Member

State:
    Saint Peters, M
    I drove by the Cuivre access and the roads are flooded that lead to it. That was Thursday. I am going to try my luck at MTL Sunday.

7. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    If your familiar with the area around the Alton Marina then your not far from it when you put in at Columbia Bottoms. It's a very nice ramp on the Missouri River just up from the confluence. So put in head down river till you hit the Mississippi turn left and it's only a couple of miles to the dam at Alton.

8. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I fished near the Dam yesterday and the parking lot is still under water. :confused2::angry: The river is dropping however, so if it keeps dropping the way it has been, I imagine the ramp will soon open up again!

9. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well - I ended up fishing a 3 acre farm pond in Warrenton just to get out. I had already thawed out a couple skip jack, so I took them there with me.

It was almost like cheating. I couldn't keep the cats off my line. Fella's using worms were catching bass and bluegill while trying to catfish. I finally broke down and shared the wealth, and there are about 30 less catfish in that pond now. We caught them all in about 2 hours.

The doc that owns the lake wanted some of the cats removed. Crazy, right!?! But...he claims the lake is over run with large fish. I figured "I'm your man!". I'm good for a fish fry (or 5) now. ;)

10. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    There were about 5 or 6 cars parked in the parking lot at Maple Island today and folks were bank-fishing. Didn't get close enough to see if the ramp was out of the water yet. I'd expect it was still a bit too high but the water is still dropping fast. Might be able to launch there soon.

11. Ryan 57

Ryan 57 New Member

State:
    Illinios
    We put in below the dam yesterday. Its a little muddy but not bad.

12. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I put in there Wednesday and I'll add that you should bring some rubber boots. MUDDY is the word!

But it is usable.:big_smile: