Alton or St. Louis Area

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by catseeker, Oct 7, 2006.

1. catseeker

catseeker New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was just wondering how many of you fish the Alton to St. Louis area and what methods seem to be working for you lately. Thanks.

2. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    First of all.. Welcome to the BOC Ramzie.. I fish above the dam at Alton.. Around the power plant.. The last 2 or 3 weeks the big fish dissapeered.. All I've been catching lately is 2 to 10 lb blues and flatheads..

3. Riverside

Riverside New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am new to river fishing. I have tried above and below the Alton dam with no luck. I have been reading a lot of information, but it doesn't seem to be working. I have been tightlining just below the dikes, using live bait. I have stayed on the river 3 nights in the past 3 months and haven't caught a single catfish. I caught a good size drum, but no catfish. I would also like to hear from anyone else fishing in the area.

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    First of all Catseeker (Ramzie) and Riverside (Chris) I want to Welcome you both to the BOC Family. You have joined a great group of people.
    Now Ramzie for your question I will have to say that I don't fish that far South on the big river. But If your down around the Dam at Alton it should be good fishing. Do you all bank fish or in a boat? If by bank I have found it is more of a challange to find the good spots. But they are there ,just get off the beatin path. Keep on trying and you will finally hook that big ol cat of a lifetime. Of course I'm still trying.:roll_eyes: Again WELCOME and don't give up!!

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Don't give up Chris ,if you talk to some of the old timers in your area I'm sure they are gonna tell you that fishing has been really bad this year on the Mississippi. I know a couple of Commerical Fisherman that gave it up earlier this summer cause it was so bad. So Buddy your not the only one who isn't catching Ole Whiskers. I'm Not EITHER:sad2: But I don't give up!! Have a good day and HAPPY FISHING.

6. catseeker

catseeker New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I don't have a boat so I am restricted to the bank. My buddy and I use bait we catch in our cast nets. We tight line because thats all we know how to do and everything else we try ends up getting snagged. We occasionally have a night when we catch up to 4 cats but that was in the summer.