Alton on march 11th?

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by spikespack, Mar 8, 2008.

1. spikespack

spikespack New Member

State:
    illinois
    Thinking about going to Alton, how's fishin for blues lately? What about bait? Never fished there. Need help!!

2. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hello Myk. First let me Welcome you to the BOC. Alot of outstanding people on here and a place to make lifelong friends. Were glad to have you on the board.

Alton

The River is a mess right now. It is really high, and there is alot of trash floating due to the heavy rains as of late, and the snow melt. The Bite is considered POOR right now. We just had 6 boats hit the river last week and between all 6 boats there were 2 fish caught. It will take a couple of weeks at the very least for the river to settle down some, but I wouldnt let that stop you. You'll just need to use extreme caution as all of the wing dykes were under water, and due to the trash. You can usually find some pockets of water here and there where there isnt a bunch of trash floating and who knows you might find some fish to report to the BOC on. :wink:

There is a great bait shop in Alton. Its down the road past Fast Eddies going east, on the right hand side, about a mile an half down. Its called Bluff City Tackle. Introduce yourself to Robert in there. He knows the Alton stretch of river extremely well and has caught some Tremendous fish there at the dam. He's the one to pester for information for sure. He will be happy to sell you some skipjack too, but I think they are pretty "proud" of them. They are around 10 bucks for a package of them which, all in all, isnt that bad of a price really.

Tell him "Cuz" says hello. He's good people.

Welcome to the Brotherhood. Dont be afraid to post up your fishing ventures. We all learn from each other on this site, so as to maximize our time on our rivers and lakes. Glad to have you.

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I'd like to welcome you to BOC also. The section of river near Alton is a great fishery. I'd also like to recommend that you check out the Gateway Catfishing Club in the Partners in Catfishing section on the BOC homepage. Our next Club meeting is at Cabelas on March 25th. There you will meet a whole crew of dedicated catfishermen who bond together and help each other out. We have a ton of fun too. We are a new club just getting off the ground but have a large membership already and great camaraderie.

Good luck if you go fishing, a cast net would be a good investment to catch your own fresh bait. Bait can be hard to find this time of year though but it can be done.

Glad tohave you aboard!:big_smile:

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO

I made one slight change to your great post Skippy. :wink:

5. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Crap! I guess I truly belong in the 'old farts club'. Don't know how I screwed that up. Thats my last day of class here in OKC. I think I have that date on the brain cause I am ready to get the heck back home!!!!!:smile2:

Sorry for any confusion!!!!!:embarassed:

6. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Have a good safe drive back home, and get those rigs ready. Its juuuussstttt about time for the kittens to start filling their little belly's after that long cold winter on the bottom of the river. :wink::cool2:

7. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Ok, but you have to remember I was a NOOB last June! Don't know how to fish the Spring bite yet. Hope I figure it out before April 5th because I need to put Mrs SkipEye on some fish in that tourney! I'm feeling lucky! Also, I have to catch some good fish this year too before I go down as a rookie 'flash in the pan'!

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    If thy "young" rookie can prove himself in year 2 he will have established himself amongst the rank and file. :smile2: Its gonna be tough to top the rookie year you had, but I bet it can be done.

If you figure out how to conquer the spring bite share the knowledge my brother, cuz I aint to good at it myself. Beginning in July and going to November I tend to belt em. I just havnt figured out spring patterns yet. I'm sure its something I'm doing wrong, as everyone else seems to catch fish in the spring. :angry: I shall overcome though. :wink:

9. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Well Cuz, all I know is that you sure seem to spend a lot of time putting other folks in your boat and catching some HAWGS! I'm looking forward to an honored seat in the Cuz Craft one of these days! We'll see what happens! Skipeye has a bag ' o' tricks that sometimes works out. Cuz has a bag' o' tricks that works out more often than not! We'll give her a go one of these days!

10. spikespack

spikespack New Member

State:
    illinois
    Thanks "Cuz" and all who responded!!:smile2: I am also curious about anchoring, I have a Tracker Tundra 18'. I have 150' of 1/2" rope and a fluke/chene anchor, will this work o.k.? I fished the Bass Pro Big Cat Quest Final in Memphis and we had a hard time in a Tundra 21' :angry:- I think the current was around 11 MPH. Thanks a lot! I have been reading around this great site, what a great resource all of these fine catters have provided for us!! Keep it up! Thanks again, Myk

11. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I just came home from checking out the dam. All locks are open and the water is almost to the parking lot. I will be awhile before the boat ramp will be ready for use.

12. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    So let it be written, So let it be done!!!!!!!!!!

13. boots

boots New Member

State:
    illinois
    Great place, lots of options and this time year the type of bait, bring a few. By the way the Il. state record caught in the area we fish.

14. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    That Illinois Record would also still be the current World Record!:wink: