alton lock and dam

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by mississippi man, Jan 31, 2008.

1. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    Has anyone seen anybody successfully anchor a pontoon up below the Alton lock and dam? I am buying a new boat and am thinking of a cattoon. I just wondered I have seen alot of really big jon boats anchored but not a pontoon. I was wondering if it can be done.

2. Dan the Fisherman

Dan the Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ramsey, Illinois
    I have some luck anchoring a pontoon in the current, the problem I ran into was from the wind. If you point the end of the cattoons into the current, you will find that the friction will be less than most other style of boats. It will be the wind vs current flow that might give you a headache. With the proper setup it can be done and fishing from the cattoon can be like fishing from your livingroom:wink:

3. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I fish below Mel Price with a pontoon all the time. I've been out there with the water near flood stage and was able to anchor. There's boulders on the bottom that are probably the size of cars. You just have to get the anchor wedged in between a couple of'em, and you aren't going anywhere.

4. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    Thanks guys I have anchored up above the dam with no problem but never tried below I saw one guy trying unsuccesfully and it scared me off. I was thinking of mounting a recliner.

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

And plan on losing an anchor or two per year cause sometimes they just ain't coming back up. Good place to fish though.

6. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    If the wind is the problem use 2 anchors. Set up with one off the front of the boat and when your boat comes around to the setup you want drop another of the rear.Thats what i do and it works great it is a little more work but oh well.:wink::big_smile:

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Using 2 anchors on the Mississippi River is a dangerous move. It only takes a second for the front anchor to lose grip and for the boat to swing to with the stern upstream, you will sink in a few precious seconds. It can happen quickly. Ask harold Dodd how quick a boat can go under when the rope tangles in the prop for instance. Same difference, you will sink before you can react unless you have a knife and can get the rope cut.

Use drift buckets, safer, safer, safer!!!!

8. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I have a toon and have anchored it below the dam. Sometimes it takes two tries to get it to hook up.

9. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    i use a draft bucket.just tie it to the back boat and the current will hold you in place. a five gallon bucket should do.

10. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    What kind of anchor is it that those big jon boats use down there below the dam? It kinda looks like a cone on top of a round flat disc and they always use them on a automautic winch. Do any of you know if there is one big enough for a pontoon.
    o
    / \
    / \
    | |

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    it is a good idea (IMO) to have atleast 2 types of anchor, one that will grab on a hard bottom and a flat/blade type design for soft, or sand areas, I think that the design is more important than the weight, (a 5# blade type) will hold better in a soft bottom than 30# of weight (Mushroom type) at least for me they do, if you have access to a shop or your own, you can build them a lot cheaper that buying. Don't be afraid to ask the fellas at the ramp either, good place to get some great info on what other people use, Some of the better ones I have seen or have are homemade

12. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    i take 3 window wieghts weild them together and yhen weild 4 pieces of rebar the window weight for a cheap and good one that cold to the bottom and cheap to replace.