Alton Lock and Dam.

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by chad123, Jun 25, 2009.

1. chad123

chad123 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    im new to river fishing, and im close to the alton L&D, so anyone have any tips for where to fish for big Flats and Blues.???

2. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Use big baits, and big weights tied to sinker slides so you can break them off when needed. Skipjack, big bluegills,(live and cut), and big shad..

3. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have never caught a flathead around the dam. There are plenty of world class blues to be caught around the dam. Are you boat or bank fishing. I would recommend going to Bluff City Tackle and asking questions. Also welcome to the BOC from Alton, IL. Good luck.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chad Welcome to the BOC. I look forward to reading of your fishing trips.:0a23::0a25::0a25:

5. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Welcome to the BOC! I'm pretty sure the world record blue cat came from right around there...not positive on the exact location. Anyways, best of luck and welcome!

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    their slow now, but flatheads are not the main thing in their, blues are, if your after flatheads get into some slackwater, but id be afer blues man

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    anybody having luck from the bank at altone, im comming down saterday, if its not storming, whats holding, last time 2 oz was holding o the ill side, thoght about the mo side but thats taking alot of chances, doght id pull one throgh that current, and id loose alot of gear

8. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Over the weekend I caught 3 or 4 in the #20 to #30 range and one that I have to say was over #50. The skipjack are around a bit better. As far as the weight needed, it just depends on the locks being open or closed. I usually used 5 or 6oz. I am also talking bank fishing on the Alton side, not right at the dam on the Missouri side.

9. Jnagel

Jnagel New Member

State:
    Illinois.
    whats the best time of day to head out to the lock, i tried night fishin there on the IL side but the only way i know to get in is through the gates.

10. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you are talking the Alton side by the Lock and Dam museum, the gate is the only way I know to get in.