Alton Lock and Dam 26 ????

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by catfisherman369, Jun 1, 2009.

1. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I have never been to Alton fishing or even to the lock and dam . What I am wondering is where to go to bank fish . Also how to get there . Do you have to walk far ? Any info. will be great . Here is a picture I found do you fish the Illinois side or ?

2. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i pm you on the melvin price lock not the one in your pic, thats not the alton one

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i think, as long as we got the weght and right gear anywere below thats good, but is it illiegal to go throgh and fish, after it closes , i see peaple down there but i hope its not a felony, it had no violaters will be procicuted sighns it said 5 to 9, so i dont think thed arest you,

4. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Eric
    Actually that picture is the old lock and dam 26 and old Alton bridge.

People fish both sides, and there is parking on both sides. Most people fish the Missouri side, there's a parking lot right there and they fish off the rocks. You can fish pretty much anytime, it's snagging that has seasons etc. If that's what you are looking for, check the regulations.

Here's an picture of Melvin Price Locks and Damn (26), you can see the parking lots in the photos.

Attached Files:

5. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Nope not looking to snag . I am looking to catch some big cats . Thanks for the picture .

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Floyd, try asking in the Gateway section, quite a few folks in Gateway know that area quite well. I used to fish it many years ago, but only once a year or so anymore, so not much I can tell ya.

7. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Its acually a little far for me to drive not knowing much about it . I figure I will just watch the board and see what everyone says about it and look through the past posts on alton .

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    its not worth the drive if you got blues near you, but if you got the time and money its worth it, look for a lake stocked with them close to you,flats are everywere, blues are not native were your at, see if they got stocked lakes if blues is what you want bro

9. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Floyd it is worth the drive but as far away as you are keep a eye on the board for the river to setel down some befor you make the drive the MO. side is the best place right at the dam but you gota use big sinkers i usly get by with 8oz but ya gota rig sacrofishal sinkers you will donate lots of lead thear but the big blues do hange out thear thay love that swift water good luck floyd

10. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    I have fished there many times and it is alot better to get out on a boat then fish from the bank. Main reason why it is over crowded most of the time to fish from the bank, but you can still catch nice fish. Another tip I will say is bring plenty of heavy weights (10-16oz) is what you will need. The current is very strong and you will get snagged alot from the bank, so make sure to bring enough tackle with you. I have fished on both side and the Mo side produces bigger fish, but you have to be around alot of other fisherman and deal with the snags. But on a side note if you are looking for big catfish and don't want to drive that far. Check out Baldwin lake, it is alot closer to you and will produce very nice blue cats and sometimes nice flatties. The picture of me in the avatar is my PB blue out of Baldwin so far.

11. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You can certainly fish the Missouri side right at the dam. Chance for very nice blues. Unfortunately you will want your sinker to get snagged up because if it don't, it will ride the current forever. Just tie the sinker on with light mono. If you have a nice chunk of bait, the fish will find it and the sinker will break off. You can also fish directly across the river on the Illinois side. The water is a bit calmer and plenty of bait fish. There is also a nice spot which is called Confluence park. The entrance is on the Missouri side just before you make the left to drive back to the dam. This park has been closed due to flooding, but last night I saw some equipment on the road, leading to the park, so maybe they are getting ready to open. Good luck.

12. skeezaveli

skeezaveli New Member

State:
    illinois
    yeah...the fishing at the dam is terrible...just aweful!!! stay away......go to baldwin!!! the locks are a terrible harvest...nuthin' but little babies and post spawn alligator gar....snapping turtles and dead bodies.....nobody ever pulls out any good cats around the riverbend....might as well stay yonder:roll_eyes::smile2::wink::0a26:

13. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    the dam must be good, ask alton, hes got proof,

14. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    It is a nice place to fish from the bank and even better out in a boat.

15. skeezaveli

skeezaveli New Member

State:
    illinois
    yeah...it's cool....i been thinking about spending about an 8 hour stint down there....but i'm afraid i'd be bored after limiting in about 2 hours....

16. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    You are so full of sh*t!!!

17. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    bank fishing the dam, is tuff, how can you possibly cast ten oz weghts 50 yards out, i dont have 300 doller gear, my poll wuold snap, dont them blues come at least 25 yards out

18. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You don't need 10oz from the dam. If you are fishing off the rocks 5 or 6oz is enough weight to sink and get snagged and let the bait drift around. You really don't need to cast very far 40 or 50 yards is plenty.

19. skeezaveli

skeezaveli New Member

State:
    illinois
    lol......yeah...skippy...just tryin' to protect my lil spot.....lol:wink:

20. Catfish KID

Catfish KID New Member

State:
    godfrey,illinois
    yours and about five thousand other people i see there