Alton IL. Skipjack report

Discussion in 'Skipjack Herring' started by BIG_D, Mar 12, 2009.

1. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    any one catching any skipjack around alton

2. noj77

noj77 Member

State:
    Saint Peters, M
    Most likely not. I haven't heard of anyone catching them this time of year. I could be wrong but wait till it gets hot outside and then they will be around.

3. RRRKKK

RRRKKK New Member

State:
    Quincy IL
    I suggest you better get going, we have a lot of water coming your way. The old timer here in Quincy can not remember a rise of 6' to 21' in 2 days. Caught a lot of us bt suprise.

4. stump jumper

stump jumper New Member

State:
    illinois
    alton is a big no!head south!

Attached Files:

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    dang Steve you hit the mother load:crazy::eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

6. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    :crazy: That makes me want to find someone who knows how to catch them and where! To date I never used a skipjack as bait

7. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Brian iv not used theam ether got to in freezer gona givem a try i want to catch a bunch myself hate paying for theam

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Guys make a weekend trip and take a trip to Ky, Barkley Lake. There is a bait shop called Kens TBC between the two lakes where you can buy jigs or sabaki rigs. Its a beautiful area with a lot to offer. Take your wives and load up on skipjack.

9. shawn 314

shawn 314 New Member

State:
    st. louis
    what kind of rigg u guys be using when hunting for skippies

10. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Shawn most of us use a sabiky rig < not sher if i spelled that right hope you can read it lol

11. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Welcome to the B.O.C. family Shawn.Good to see another MO member .Someone will be able to help you out on the Skippy's.Wish I knew how to get them myself.Can't afford to go to Kentucky to get them.Got to be somewhere closer by.
    Again:0a25:

12. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Around warm water discharges or below lock and dams in most rivers you can find skipjack. If there is any in the system. Try asking around with the locals near larger rivers in your area to find out if the river system has skipjack in it.

13. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Below Loz small kastmaster spoons and jigs in late may and june. You wont load coolers with em but they are good size up to a Pound. I get around 10 to 12 a trip. We also get em on float and minners. I also catch a few in the gasconade on minners and a float. And yes I know the dif between mooneye and skips I catch em both they make great bait.

14. altonfisher

altonfisher New Member

State:
    IL
    I'm at work or else i would be down there now, i saw a large number of shad getting busted up and i believe it is probably skipjack or possibly Whites... either way its a good outing.

15. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC. I sure hope the skipjacks start showing up at the dam. I have had a very tough time getting any bait lately with the sabiki or my castnet.

16. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    Got into a mess of skips below Alton dam Tuesday night small yet about 4 in. Some nice shad 6 to 8 in

17. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    bait in the area lots of shad, moon-eyes are far and few, and the skips are plentiful but only up to 4 and 5 inches as of 8/25/09

18. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    I got into a mess of skips 5 to 6 inch now. Last Thursday had a bunch 50 or so of moon eye 12 to 16 inch in a throw net 8/2/09

19. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    sorry wrong date it was 9/2/09

20. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Dave i just wanted to say thank you for keeping us updated on the bait fish the way gas prices are it helps knowing rather to go or not!