alton damn

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by missouri cat hunter, Apr 24, 2009.

1. missouri cat hunter

missouri cat hunter New Member

State:
    missouri
    i went to the alton damn not to long ago and it sucked does anyone else feel like their screwin us one day its down and two days later its flooding thats the stupitest think i ever herd i travled like 2 hours away just to fish that river with my brother and you go up stream you get snagged alot or if you go down stream the water level is way down i feel very strong about how they control the flood gates because one mistake its flooding but couldnt they at least open the gates slowley to prevent flooding and make better fishing insted of opening them all at once and ruin most of the snagging season i dont no who agarees with me but i just thought i needed to share that lol

2. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Water levels have been fine there all year. The lot flooded once since snaggin season opened, and was back within 3 days. The snaggin is ok there as well. We are hittin em. Everyone from around here will tell ya, the dam sucks period compared to the chain of rocks. Maybe someday we will all be back there. Until then, let's quit bitchin and fish. :wink:

3. pitbull1078

pitbull1078 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chain of rocks was an awesome place to snag. We will never be allowed to snag there again. There is a commerical fisherman that fishes that and he passed some money on up and they stopped it. This is straight for the game wardens mouth. Alton dam does suck. There just isnt any places to snag in IL anymore.

4. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Yeah we have all heard the different storeies as to why it was closed, and the commercial story seems to be the most prevalent.
    Either way it is a bunch of crap.
    I personally have signed a few different petitions, one of which looked very promising.
    Hopefully someday it will return.
    I personally don't even find snagging worth the time anymore, seeing as how the only access is Melvin Price. Oh Well.

5. SpoonieKing

SpoonieKing New Member

State:
    STL Missouri
    wow i thought i was the only one that felt this way....1. any TRUE fisherman known that alton dam sucks. 2. everybody knows the spoonies are at chain of rocks. 3. what blew it was them couple of suckers that kept sneakin in overnight breaching their limits. Its always a couple people that ruin it for everybody else. I took a vacation to lake of the ozarks to open the season...got a 60lb and a couple 25-30s. Well worth the trip in my book.

As far as st. louis its sad around here. The best bet for any fisherman is to go after flatheads that are close to the local powerplants. (used to work at ameren) thats about it. :cool2: