Alton dam

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by CATMAN1979, Sep 8, 2008.

1. CATMAN1979

CATMAN1979 New Member

State:
    WARSAW MO
    Me and a buddy are going upbto alton dam saturday Im stuck to the bank right now due to the fact im waiting on my new seaark v-cat to arrive. Just wondering if it is very good fishing from the bank. And if it is a very safe place to fish at night. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

2. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Chris I have seen quite a few guys fishing up by the dam with success up there. As far as safety go's I have never had a problem up there but anything is possible. I am already supposed to go fishing with my buddy or I would take you out in my boat. Good luck and let us know how you do.

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    im also planning on fishing thear mabe tuesday evning my first time too i hope its safe thout mabe a week day all the loonys might stay at home:crazy::cool2:

4. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Take plenty of hooks and sinkers.. You're gonna get hung up alot fishing from the bank..

5. CATMAN1979

CATMAN1979 New Member

State:
    WARSAW MO
    Iwas also wondering if a person can get bait up there from the bank?

6. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Yeah, shouldn't be a problem....the skipjacks maybe running up there now too! But that isn't confirmed.

7. CATMAN1979

CATMAN1979 New Member

State:
    WARSAW MO
    Thanks for the info rat i was up there a few weeks ago for the first time to just check it out and decided to go back and fish this weekend .

8. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Chris, I have seen alot of guys out there fishing from the bank. The most successful are doing what they call, "drift fishing", meaning that they are not loading up an 8 oz sinker and tossing it out there hoping that a cat will find it. The guy I saw pulling them in was using a 4oz weight, a little piece of cut bait, and was casting it straight out from him as he was standing parallel with the gates. He then basically "tight-lined" it as the weight and the bait rolled down river, if he felt a bite he would set the hook. I watch the guy for about 15-20 minutes and he pulled a 25 pounder and one in the teens out doing that exact technique. I asked him why he didn't use a bigger peice of bait and he told me that a bigger peice of bait goes down river to fast.

Basically when the guys line rolled to the bank, he would reel in and recast and repeat the process over and over again. I think the most important part is to make sure that there is little to no slack in the line so when you feel a fish biting, you can set the hook.

Good luck, another piece of advise, do not let your throw net sink all the way to the bottom, it is very rocky and will definately get hung up!

9. CATMAN1979

CATMAN1979 New Member

State:
    WARSAW MO
    I use that techniqe quite a bit when i fish below truman dam from the bank it works well at times ive caught alot of big fish below that dam drifting like that. It makes sense if you think about it cause the fish are watching for bait to go by. I never even thought about trying that while i was up there but ill have to try it. You are right about keeping the line tight , i also found its better to hold your rod up so you can feel the bottom better as for the bite usually if the fish is any size you will definately feel the fish cause they usually slam it. thanks

10. noj77

noj77 Member

State:
    Saint Peters, M
    Last Friday I caught about 30 skipjack from the bank there. Also caught a few mooneyes. Hopefully they will be there for a while with the weather being so screwed up.